- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
This YouTuber made ‘The Sims’ bathrooms gender-neutral, and fans can’t get enough
In those years, she has made content related to just about every facet of The Sims, from critiques to instructional videos and speed builds. In a recent video, Sims broke down her newest update to the game, which comes with gender-neutral bathrooms in every town.
In the video, Sims delves into the work she did to completely renovate The Sims 4. She created new homes, all new households and even changed the pre-existing lots. At about the 11:30 mark, Sims talks about her decision to make the bathrooms gender neutral.
“I went in, and I actually changed every single bathroom that was gendered to be gender neutral,” she said. She lists several reasons for her decision to do so. “It’s really irritating when you have gendered bathrooms in The Sims because when you have the walls cut away, you can’t see which one’s which.”
“It’s irritating, right? So I went in and I changed them all to look like this, or to have the gender-neutral doors. It’s also a really easy way to make something more accessible, and also to make something, just, more inclusive.”
In the video, Sims also laments the lack of color options on the single gender-neutral bathroom door, as compared to the gendered doors. “EA, if you want to give us a gender-neutral version of this door that would be great. Just saying.”
Followers of Sims were delighted at her idea to remove the gendered doors from all of the lots in the game. “It’s really cool of you to go back and remove gender restrictions on bathrooms. It’s such a little thing but it makes the game so much more inclusive and a lot easier to play,” YouTube user Kittylubba wrote.
Other users were in agreement. “Omg the gender bathrooms are the woooorst! So glad you fixed it,” user Isabella Shelburne wrote. Another user, who goes by SpaceChaser, said, “gendered restrooms shouldn’t be an irl thing and especially not in the sims it is very annoying.”
Sims makes an excellent point when she notes that gendered bathrooms can be irritating in gameplay. In a game that presents flexibility when it comes to gender and clothing options, it seems like non-gendered bathrooms should have come a long time ago.
The Daily Dot reached out to Sims and will update the story should she comment.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.