- Instagram revokes Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s verified status Wednesday 5:23 PM
- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ Wednesday 4:57 PM
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Wednesday 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Wednesday 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Wednesday 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Wednesday 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Wednesday 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Wednesday 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Wednesday 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Wednesday 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Wednesday 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Wednesday 11:32 AM
- Covington students defend blackface video as ‘school spirit’ Wednesday 11:30 AM
- This YouTuber reportedly filmed himself abusing his cat—and his channel is still active Wednesday 11:18 AM
Fans are already going nuts for this stunning ‘Labyrinth’ board game
Chase your baby brother all over again in the first official Labyrinth board game!
It’s been 30 years since fantasy classic Labyrinth was released, but that doesn’t seem to be stopping fans from freaking out for a board game based on it.
Fans were so excited to see the game finally for sale that River Horse’s website went down several times Tuesday while people preordered as fast as their hands could pound the keyboard.
“Wow, I have to say a huge thank you to everybody that supported us with the game pre-order since yesterday—it has been quite a roller coaster ride!” wrote the game’s creator, Alessio Cavatore, in a Facebook post Wednesday morning. “Please bear with us if we are slow in responding to your many emails, but as well as the server, our email systems are melting… Yes, we have kinda broken the internet a bit, at least our little corner of it… a bit chaotic, but very very exciting—thanks a lot!”
The game will retail for $60 and is slated to ship in late summer. It comes with highly detailed play pieces and will guide players on a journey to solve the labyrinth just as Sarah did to save her baby brother, Toby, in the film. Jareth’s crotch appears to be prominently featured, just as fans were secretly hoping.
What is perhaps most notable is how the game has become gathering point for a passionate group of fans who are enthusiastically sharing their love of the film. The community is flooded with fan art and crafts of many of the film’s memorable characters.
Facebook/Amy Jo Ovard
Cosplayers also made appearances, showing off a variety of beautiful interpretations of the film’s beloved faces (but sadly, no Ludo—that’d be quite the costume to make).
Facebook/Desiree Blythe Wilson
The game doesn’t have a release date just yet, but from the looks of how the community is thriving, we’ll have plenty to enjoy while we wait. A good fandom just makes us swoon every time.
Colette Bennett is a writer and editor who specializes in geek culture, beauty products, and Amazon deals. Her work has appeared on CNN, HLN, Engadget, Kotaku, Colourlovers, and Continue Magazine. She's also given talks on working in news for CNN's Leadership Unplugged program. Bennett also runs popular Korean beauty blog Chok Chok Beauty and regularly slathers her face in snail slime.