- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Today 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live Today 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Today 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Today 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Today 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Today 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Today 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Today 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games Today 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Today 12:20 PM
- Reddit mods restore Tiananmen Square image after censorship claims Today 12:18 PM
- Billie Eilish parody takes dad jokes to a whole new level Today 11:52 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Ravens in NFL preseason action Today 11:26 AM
- How to create your very own Instagram hoax Today 11:15 AM
- ‘Spider-Man’ fans want to ‘storm’ Sony’s office in New York to protest him leaving the MCU Today 11:13 AM
Hermione and Katniss face off in a magically awesome rap battle
Katniss has street smarts, but Hermione’s vocab is still bigger.
It’s win or die in this hardcore rap battle between two of our most beloved modern Young Adult heroines. Hermione may be the sidekick in her own story, but we still named her the greatest YA heroine of all time. (Katniss came in fifth.) But our favorite girl on fire is clearly having none of that. She throws down in true District 12 style in this parody from YouTubers Whitney Avalon and Molly C. Quinn—along with a host of background guests who look eerily like the casts of their respective fantasy film franchises.
Obviously neither Katniss nor Hermione are princesses—the name’s an obvious homage to the epic Disney princess rap battles of yore. But more importantly, neither of them have time to waste dropping verses when they could be joining together to fight the forces of evil (though it’s a shame, because these rhymes are hardcore). It seems like Hermione ekes out the win, but it’s a clear draw between these two in our hearts.
Thankfully, there’s a much happier (and slashier) conclusion to this duel, as our heroines decide to make love, not war. Sign us up for all the crossover fanfic.
Screengrab via Whitney Avalon/YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.