- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
Hermione and Katniss face off in a magically awesome rap battle
Katniss has street smarts, but Hermione’s vocab is still bigger.
It’s win or die in this hardcore rap battle between two of our most beloved modern Young Adult heroines. Hermione may be the sidekick in her own story, but we still named her the greatest YA heroine of all time. (Katniss came in fifth.) But our favorite girl on fire is clearly having none of that. She throws down in true District 12 style in this parody from YouTubers Whitney Avalon and Molly C. Quinn—along with a host of background guests who look eerily like the casts of their respective fantasy film franchises.
Obviously neither Katniss nor Hermione are princesses—the name’s an obvious homage to the epic Disney princess rap battles of yore. But more importantly, neither of them have time to waste dropping verses when they could be joining together to fight the forces of evil (though it’s a shame, because these rhymes are hardcore). It seems like Hermione ekes out the win, but it’s a clear draw between these two in our hearts.
Thankfully, there’s a much happier (and slashier) conclusion to this duel, as our heroines decide to make love, not war. Sign us up for all the crossover fanfic.
Screengrab via Whitney Avalon/YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.