- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post 2 Weeks Ago
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Today 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
Boyega, who portrays Finn in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and its two predecessors, has an ongoing feud with toxic Reylo shippers on social media, which has come to a head in the last few weeks.
The 27-year-old creatively compiled scenes–some of which are from prior interviews–of him dancing, lightsabering, punching, scootering over, and even pelvic thrusting away choice tweets from his online trolls.
“Glad I got it out of my system,” Boyega declared in the caption of the video, which was posted on Friday.
Because of the video, which some may say is Oscar-worthy, Boyega began trending on Twitter.
Many showed their support for the actor’s ingenious way of handling all of the negative criticism and even patted him on the back for finally standing up to the barrage of harassment he’s received.
“I, for one, think that john boyega clowning on a group of people who consistently harassed him and used every opportunity to target him with racism & antiblackness for years is one of the best things to come from the end of the skywalker saga,” Twitter user @galaxylesbian wrote.
i, for one, think that john boyega clowning on a group of people who consistently harassed him and used every opportunity to target him with racism & antiblackness for years is one of the best things to come from the end of the skywalker saga— ♡ (@galaxylesbian) January 11, 2020
Another recalled one very toxic moment to come out of the anti-Boyega movement.
“John Boyega razor scootering over the tweet of a white woman who was catfishing people with the avi of a black girl to drag john is the best moment of the decade i think,” Twitter user @stellarcarol wrote.
john boyega razor scootering over the tweet of a white woman who was catfishing people with the avi of a black girl to drag john is the best moment of the decade i think. pic.twitter.com/WWyR1YH66O— sylvia (@stellarcarol) January 11, 2020
JOHN BOYEGA DID NOT JUST POST THIS ON HIS INSTAGRAM pic.twitter.com/VsLCuqFWh2— satan (@MARVELOLOGY) January 11, 2020
Many called out Reylos for not being able to handle what they dish out.
“the r*ylo’s are crying about john’s post as if they didn’t attack him for YEARS solely bc of his race & they’re still acting like they’re the oppressed ones,,,,, I have to laugh! n e ways stan john boyega,” Twitter user @spideygar wrote.
the r*ylo’s are crying about john’s post as if they didn’t attack him for YEARS solely bc of his race & they’re still acting like they’re the oppressed ones,,,,, I have to laugh! n e ways stan john boyega pic.twitter.com/MxxpD8wVGq— nicole 💌 l caos spoilers (@EUPH0RICPSPIDEY) January 11, 2020
Reylos: publicly tag John Boyega in posts in which they berate him, insult, slander him, and say racist and obscene shit about him to his face.— Jedi General Finn Djarin (@starwarstacey) January 11, 2020
John: publicly reposts their publicly-made comments in which he had been tagged
it’s really funny to me how reylos now advocate about anti-bullying like they haven’t been sending hate and death threats to the cast (esp. to john) since 2015— marta (@Iadywars) January 11, 2020
john boyega making a funny video of him reacting to racist and obsessive reylos attacking him and reylos calling him dramatic as if they didn’t post livestreams of them crying and gaslight people with threats of s*icide over a tweet.....— amara was @janevaIkyries!! (@wlwazuIa) January 11, 2020
john boyega getting back at these annoying ass r*ylos who have been blantantly racist and fuckin annoying for years now that he cashed that check & his contract is over .... you LOVE to see it pic.twitter.com/1fSvPb5KJv— bisexual han solo (@A24URIS) January 11, 2020
reylos: harass john boyega, sometimes even being racist to him all because he doesn't support their ship— we love john boyega in this household (@ice_br8ker) January 11, 2020
john boyega: stands up for himself
And while some users claimed that Boyega is doxxing them by posting their tweets, others swiftly debunked that notion.
“So uh just a reminder for the angry right now: Once you post something on a public account, it’s public. Don’t get mad if someone (John Boyega) clowns you—especially if you were harassing him in the first place,” Twitter user @finnisajedi pointed out.
So uh just a reminder for the angry right now:— 〽️🅰❎ | ᴄᴇᴏ ᴏғ ᴊᴇᴅɪ ғɪɴɴ (@finnisajedi) January 11, 2020
Once you post something on a public account, it’s public. Don’t get mad if someone (John Boyega) clowns you—especially if you were harassing him in the first place!!
twitter is a public site john boyega is not doxing you, go outside pic.twitter.com/L4B8wrMw0x— lizeth (@suspeiria) January 11, 2020
lmaooo i love seeing the people who said annoying shit to john boyega get reeeeal cowardly when he put their tweets in a video. change your url and protect your tweets, you still cant change your pussy attitude! pic.twitter.com/l2yIm881R3— Amatullah (@butchniqabi) January 11, 2020
- John Boyega cracks jokes about Rey, Kylo Ren—and faces racist backlash
- With the Ben Solo Challenge, anything is a lightsaber
- TikTok is now full of ‘Star Wars’ memes
H/T Comic Book
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.