- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there Wednesday 12:18 PM
- Mattel’s BTS dolls are finally up for preorder Wednesday 12:14 PM
Considering the actors who’ve played Joker in the past, he’d have big shoes to fill.
According to a report by Variety, a new actor may soon fill the clown shoes of Batman’s most colorful villain. Joaquin Phoenix is apparently in talks to play the Joker in a standalone movie helmed by The Hangover’s Todd Phillips.
The as-yet-untitled film will take place outside the current DC movieverse. It traces Joker’s rise as he goes from low-level crook to the unhinged mastermind at atop Gotham’s criminal enterprise. Sources told Variety the movie will be set in the 1980s and will play more like a straight crime drama than a flashy superhero film. The reason? Apparently, Martin Scorsese asked for a more grounded tone before he’d get involved in the project in some capacity.
As far as we know, Jared Leto still fills the villain’s role in the main films of the DC Extended Universe. Other upcoming Joker movies include a Suicide Squad sequel as well as a Harley Quinn/Joker romance.
Warner Bros and DC have no shortage of other movies in the works, either. Many of the announcements came with scant information that left out details like casting news and release dates. Frankly, it’s all getting a little confusing. Jared Leto even admitted he has no idea what’s going on with the upcoming DC films.
Should Joaquin Phoenix land the role in Joker’s origin story, fans will surely scrutinize his performance. (Just ask Jared Leto.) Each major Joker actor, from Jack Nicholson to Heath Ledger, has put his own unique spin on the character.