- Dem senator promises to put net neutrality on the ‘political hot seat’ in coming months 1 Year Ago
- Someone figured out that Toothless from ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ looks just like Bulbasaur 1 Year Ago
- Disturbing Snapchat video shows 17-year-old throwing dog on trampoline Today 12:16 PM
- How to watch the new Bon Appetit channel for free Today 12:03 PM
- Eminem disses Netflix for canceling ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:50 AM
- Florida prisons sued for depriving inmates of music they paid for Today 11:36 AM
- Chris Hemsworth will become Hulk Hogan for Netflix biopic Today 11:29 AM
- Fortnite just introduced a K-Pop skin, and here’s how to unlock it Today 11:06 AM
- The YouTuber who exposed the site’s ‘softcore pedophile ring’ is under attack Today 10:39 AM
- Trump randomly calls for companies to ‘step up’ their 5G efforts in U.S. Today 10:28 AM
- Professional media person: Poor people have money but they just waste it on ‘benders’ Today 10:22 AM
- Netflix acquires highest-grossing blockbuster of 2019 (so far) Today 9:29 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez blasts media over home reports after Coast Guard member’s hit list revealed Today 8:52 AM
- Are you being harassed by a Bernie Bro or a Bernie bot? Today 7:30 AM
- Jason Reitman is empowering toxic ‘Ghostbusters’ fanboys Today 6:55 AM
Considering the actors who’ve played Joker in the past, he’d have big shoes to fill.
According to a report by Variety, a new actor may soon fill the clown shoes of Batman’s most colorful villain. Joaquin Phoenix is apparently in talks to play the Joker in a standalone movie helmed by The Hangover’s Todd Phillips.
The as-yet-untitled film will take place outside the current DC movieverse. It traces Joker’s rise as he goes from low-level crook to the unhinged mastermind at atop Gotham’s criminal enterprise. Sources told Variety the movie will be set in the 1980s and will play more like a straight crime drama than a flashy superhero film. The reason? Apparently, Martin Scorsese asked for a more grounded tone before he’d get involved in the project in some capacity.
As far as we know, Jared Leto still fills the villain’s role in the main films of the DC Extended Universe. Other upcoming Joker movies include a Suicide Squad sequel as well as a Harley Quinn/Joker romance.
Warner Bros and DC have no shortage of other movies in the works, either. Many of the announcements came with scant information that left out details like casting news and release dates. Frankly, it’s all getting a little confusing. Jared Leto even admitted he has no idea what’s going on with the upcoming DC films.
Should Joaquin Phoenix land the role in Joker’s origin story, fans will surely scrutinize his performance. (Just ask Jared Leto.) Each major Joker actor, from Jack Nicholson to Heath Ledger, has put his own unique spin on the character.