- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care 2 Years Ago
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut 2 Years Ago
- This website will show you how AI classifies you 2 Years Ago
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Today 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Today 2:30 PM
- Government sues Edward Snowden for breaking a non-disclosure agreement Today 2:21 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Olympiacos in the Champions League Today 1:56 PM
- ‘Love Island’ star’s Instagram photo doctored for MAGA hat ad Today 1:16 PM
- Los Tigres del Norte carry on Johnny Cash’s legacy in stellar Folsom Prison concert film Today 1:05 PM
- Keke Palmer’s ‘sorry to this man’ meme is perfect Today 12:59 PM
- Hoodies with fake bullet holes from prominent school shootings spark outrage Today 12:44 PM
- Instagram apologizes for censoring pictures of fish Today 12:40 PM
- George R.R. Martin clarifies some things about the ‘Game of Thrones’ Targaryen prequel Today 12:20 PM
- Bill Mitchell, the Trump-loving QAnon scammer, is pushing ammunition for a civil war Today 11:53 AM
- How to stream Tigres vs. Cruz Azul in the Leagues Cup final Today 11:48 AM
According to a report by Variety, a new actor may soon fill the clown shoes of Batman’s most colorful villain. Joaquin Phoenix is apparently in talks to play the Joker in a standalone movie helmed by The Hangover’s Todd Phillips.
The as-yet-untitled film will take place outside the current DC movieverse. It traces Joker’s rise as he goes from low-level crook to the unhinged mastermind at atop Gotham’s criminal enterprise. Sources told Variety the movie will be set in the 1980s and will play more like a straight crime drama than a flashy superhero film. The reason? Apparently, Martin Scorsese asked for a more grounded tone before he’d get involved in the project in some capacity.
As far as we know, Jared Leto still fills the villain’s role in the main films of the DC Extended Universe. Other upcoming Joker movies include a Suicide Squad sequel as well as a Harley Quinn/Joker romance.
Warner Bros and DC have no shortage of other movies in the works, either. Many of the announcements came with scant information that left out details like casting news and release dates. Frankly, it’s all getting a little confusing. Jared Leto even admitted he has no idea what’s going on with the upcoming DC films.
Should Joaquin Phoenix land the role in Joker’s origin story, fans will surely scrutinize his performance. (Just ask Jared Leto.) Each major Joker actor, from Jack Nicholson to Heath Ledger, has put his own unique spin on the character.