- Swipe This! My boyfriend is addicted to porn. Should I leave him? 4 Years Ago
- How to stream Packers vs. Lions on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:15 PM
- College students burned author’s books after she spoke about white privilege Sunday 6:28 PM
- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Sunday 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Sunday 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Sunday 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Sunday 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Sunday 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Sunday 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Sunday 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Sunday 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
J.K. Rowling’s new Harry Potter play is coming to the stage in London
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will debut on a London stage next year.
As with all of her major recent news, J.K. Rowling took to Twitter and Facebook earlier today to announce that the play is titled Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It will be coming to London’s West End next year.
The play, which Rowling supervised, was written by playwright Jack Thorne. The stage production will be directed by John Tiffany and will feature music by Imogen Heap.
It will premiere at the Palace Theatre, which previously saw the birth and two-decade run of Les Miserables, next summer. Fans can purchase tickets beginning this fall, but given that the theater only seats 1,400 people, you’ll probably have a long, long waiting period.
Although the play will feature glimpses into Harry’s childhood, Rowling insists it is not a prequel. This seems to contradict recent unconfirmed reports that the storyline would focus on Harry’s parents, James and Lily Potter, and their too-brief life together.
Rowling was tight-lipped about details, apart from confirming that the play would not be a prequel and that she was happy that the theater would serve as the medium for this particular narrative part of Harry’s journey:
Although fans have known about the play since December 2013, the reaction from the Internet over today’s news seemed to imply that many of them had missed the earlier memo. Any addition to the world of Harry Potter is a big deal, and a new story featuring Harry himself is something of a miracle. It’s hard to believe that 19 years into its existence, the world of Harry Potter will be getting two entirely new installments in the form of the Cursed Child and the Fantastic Beasts film trilogy.
But it’s not hard at all to believe that fans are as excited now as they were two decades ago, when Harry first came into our lives.
Photo via thenerdpatrol/Flickr (CC by 2.0)
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.