- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies 4 Years Ago
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Today 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Today 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Today 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Today 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Today 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Today 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Today 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Today 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Today 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Today 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Today 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
J.K. Rowling’s new Harry Potter play is coming to the stage in London
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will debut on a London stage next year.
As with all of her major recent news, J.K. Rowling took to Twitter and Facebook earlier today to announce that the play is titled Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It will be coming to London’s West End next year.
The play, which Rowling supervised, was written by playwright Jack Thorne. The stage production will be directed by John Tiffany and will feature music by Imogen Heap.
It will premiere at the Palace Theatre, which previously saw the birth and two-decade run of Les Miserables, next summer. Fans can purchase tickets beginning this fall, but given that the theater only seats 1,400 people, you’ll probably have a long, long waiting period.
Although the play will feature glimpses into Harry’s childhood, Rowling insists it is not a prequel. This seems to contradict recent unconfirmed reports that the storyline would focus on Harry’s parents, James and Lily Potter, and their too-brief life together.
Rowling was tight-lipped about details, apart from confirming that the play would not be a prequel and that she was happy that the theater would serve as the medium for this particular narrative part of Harry’s journey:
Although fans have known about the play since December 2013, the reaction from the Internet over today’s news seemed to imply that many of them had missed the earlier memo. Any addition to the world of Harry Potter is a big deal, and a new story featuring Harry himself is something of a miracle. It’s hard to believe that 19 years into its existence, the world of Harry Potter will be getting two entirely new installments in the form of the Cursed Child and the Fantastic Beasts film trilogy.
But it’s not hard at all to believe that fans are as excited now as they were two decades ago, when Harry first came into our lives.
Photo via thenerdpatrol/Flickr (CC by 2.0)
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.