- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Today 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Today 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Today 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Today 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Today 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Today 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Today 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Today 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Today 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Today 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Today 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
It will, however, give us more info about our favorite wizard.
Last week Muggles around the world celebrated the announcement that the planned stage play from the Harry Potter universe had a title and a production date. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child isn’t authored by J.K. Rowling, but she did oversee its script—and she wants to make one thing very clear: As we originally reported, the play is not a prequel.
The rumor that the play is a prequel probably originates from a Daily Mail report on the play, which made the unverified claim that the play would focus on Harry’s parents, James and Lily, before they were killed by Voldemort on Halloween in 1980.
For the most part, Rowling is keeping mum about the plot. While it has always promised to feature earlier scenes from Harry’s life, the title, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, makes it seem like that the sequel will feature Harry as an adult. The most likely explanation for the rumors of glimpses into Harry’s past is that he encounters a friendless kid who reminds him of himself and causes him to explore his own past through flashbacks, and possibly his parents’ past as well.
The good news is that while fans who want Rowling to write the ultimate history of the Marauders are still out of luck, the new story should be considered canon, even though it was scripted by playwright Jack Thorne.
Taken with the wealth of new canon Rowling has been delivering on Pottermore, combined with the upcoming Fantastic Beasts trilogy, it’s a golden age for fans who want to delve deeper into the wizarding world.
And if the new play isn’t a prequel, that means it’s something even better: A complete surprise.
Photo via swruler/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.