- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge 4 Years Ago
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett 4 Years Ago
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Today 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Today 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Today 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Today 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Today 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Today 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Today 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
Jennifer Lawrence said playing Katniss inspired her to highlight Hollywood pay gap
Katniss Everdeen is even an inspiration to Jennifer Lawrence.
But after four years of playing a politically relevant heroine like Katniss Everdeen, we really shouldn’t be surprised that Lawrence decided to take a public stand against injustice.
“I don’t see how I couldn’t be inspired by this character,” she said, answering a question about whether Katniss had influenced her to speak out about sexism in Hollywood. “I mean, I was so inspired by her when I read the books — it’s the reason I wanted to play her.”
“So I think it would be impossible to go four years with this character and not be inspired by her,” she said.
Apparently Katniss Everdeen is such an influential role-model that she even changed the attitude of the woman who plays her.
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia (CC BY SA 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor