- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray 4 Years Ago
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
The Internet shows Jared Leto’s Joker no mercy
Let the deconstruction begin.
Last night, the Internet went absolutely crazy with a new photo showing Jared Leto as the Joker in the upcoming Suicide Squad movie. Unsurprisingly, the edgy, grill-laden, tattooed Joker isn’t winning everyone over. Twitter had its Photoshop tools ready to tear Warner Bros. and DC Comics a new one.
Here’s Brian Altano from the Comedy Button taking a crack.
And of course there was a Home Alone mockup.
The most creative was this riff on a classic Gameboy ad.
IGN editor Daniel Krupa had some poignant commentary on Leto’s Joker.
Why not flip the script and see how Ben Affleck would look as a tatted Bruce Wayne?
What if the Joker was part of Xzibit’s posse?
Ha! I knew Birdman and Manny Fresh would make their return with The Joker. pic.twitter.com/ZXiAfy1oIo
— Satchell Drakes (@SatchellDrakes) April 25, 2015
What if the Joker was a Juggalo?
Would this be his album cover?
A photo posted by @ComicBTherapy @theagentburgos (@comicbtherapy) on
Lastly, what would Leto’s Joker look like without all the tattoos?
The general consensus has been that Leto’s Joker is not at all indicative of the maniacal character we’ve grown up with, especially considering the amazing performance from Heath Ledger’s Joker in The Dark Knight or the more recent interpretation of the Joker by Scott Snyder in the Batman comics. Their Joker captured another level of insanity. Leto’s Joker doesn’t seem to do that.
People are really starting to question the inclusion of the Joker in the Suicide Squad movie. The point of the Suicide Squad is that it’s a group of criminals with a very unique set of skills. Those skills are then used to decrease their sentences. The Joker doesn’t really have a unique set of skills. He’s simply a maniac.
Now that we have seen Jared Leto’s Joker, it’s really hard to see how his character will be able to effectively contribute to a team.
Photo via JD Hancock/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Imad Khan is a gaming and esports reporter. His work has been featured on Digital Trends and ESPN.