- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
The Internet shows Jared Leto’s Joker no mercy
Let the deconstruction begin.
Last night, the Internet went absolutely crazy with a new photo showing Jared Leto as the Joker in the upcoming Suicide Squad movie. Unsurprisingly, the edgy, grill-laden, tattooed Joker isn’t winning everyone over. Twitter had its Photoshop tools ready to tear Warner Bros. and DC Comics a new one.
Here’s Brian Altano from the Comedy Button taking a crack.
And of course there was a Home Alone mockup.
The most creative was this riff on a classic Gameboy ad.
IGN editor Daniel Krupa had some poignant commentary on Leto’s Joker.
Why not flip the script and see how Ben Affleck would look as a tatted Bruce Wayne?
What if the Joker was part of Xzibit’s posse?
Ha! I knew Birdman and Manny Fresh would make their return with The Joker. pic.twitter.com/ZXiAfy1oIo
— Satchell Drakes (@SatchellDrakes) April 25, 2015
What if the Joker was a Juggalo?
Would this be his album cover?
A photo posted by @ComicBTherapy @theagentburgos (@comicbtherapy) on
Lastly, what would Leto’s Joker look like without all the tattoos?
The general consensus has been that Leto’s Joker is not at all indicative of the maniacal character we’ve grown up with, especially considering the amazing performance from Heath Ledger’s Joker in The Dark Knight or the more recent interpretation of the Joker by Scott Snyder in the Batman comics. Their Joker captured another level of insanity. Leto’s Joker doesn’t seem to do that.
People are really starting to question the inclusion of the Joker in the Suicide Squad movie. The point of the Suicide Squad is that it’s a group of criminals with a very unique set of skills. Those skills are then used to decrease their sentences. The Joker doesn’t really have a unique set of skills. He’s simply a maniac.
Now that we have seen Jared Leto’s Joker, it’s really hard to see how his character will be able to effectively contribute to a team.
Photo via JD Hancock/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Imad Khan is a gaming and esports reporter. His work has been featured on Digital Trends and ESPN.