- YouTuber Emily Hartridge killed in electric scooter crash 1 Year Ago
- Is Lashana Lynch really playing 007 in the new Bond movie? 1 Year Ago
- Trump demands apology after his racist tweets 1 Year Ago
- Prime Day deals that’ll make you grateful for your Amazon membership Today 9:51 AM
- Netflix’s ‘4L’ takes a long road trip to the Sahara Today 9:04 AM
- Air Force says it’s ready to ‘protect’ Area 51 amid Facebook event buzz Today 9:02 AM
- Get 50% off 23andMe DNA tests today for Prime Day Today 9:00 AM
- The best Prime Day streaming deals Today 8:47 AM
- ‘Veronica Mars’ season 4 is a triumphant return to form Today 8:19 AM
- Indie drama ‘The Farewell’ beats ‘Avengers: Endgame’ box office record Today 7:44 AM
- Join the Unicorn Moms if you’re sick of being judged by other parents online Today 7:00 AM
- Get the Amazon Fire TV Stick for just $15 on Prime Day Today 6:51 AM
- Trump tells 4 congresswomen of color to go back to the countries they came from Sunday 4:56 PM
- Fans would like to see Andrea Arnold’s cut of ‘Big Little Lies’ Sunday 3:49 PM
- Disney’s new ‘Star Wars’ series had a budget the size of the final ‘Game of Thrones’ season Sunday 2:54 PM
People are roasting James Cameron on Twitter for criticizing the ‘Avengers’ franchise
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY)
James Cameron hopes film-goes grow tired of superhero franchises like the Avengers soon. But, if you weren’t already aware, Cameron plans to make four sequels to his 2009 sci-fi film Avatar. Yes, that’s right. Four! The first one is scheduled to be released in late 2020. Still, he is critical of other sci-fi/fantasy franchises that produce several sequels.
“I’m hoping we’ll start getting ‘Avenger’ fatigue here pretty soon,” Cameron told reporters while promoting the upcoming series AMC Visionaries: James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction.
“It’s just, come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process. It’s like, oy!” he continued.
On Twitter, people roasted Cameron for his hypocrisy.
Says the guy planning to make four sequels to his Ferngully remake. https://t.co/PuFRycCMoU— Scott Weinberg (@scottEweinberg) April 21, 2018
And yet you chose to remake FERN GULLYhttps://t.co/QHk0wmitq4— Manic Husky Dream Boy (@Joe_Hunter) April 22, 2018
"there are other stories to tell. for example, for some reason I'm going to make 5000 more bloated movies about my sexy blue CGI aliens," added James Cameron https://t.co/NO9tspMZzw— priscilla page (@BBW_BFF) April 22, 2018
Yes, like a 6th Terminator movie and a 2nd Avatar. https://t.co/T8CQvswhDB— Raychelle Burks (@DrRubidium) April 22, 2018
I’ve had ‘James Cameron Speaking’ fatigue for years https://t.co/lHk2TNXyJL— Snake-Filled Head (@jeda121) April 22, 2018
Cameron says he wants the four sequels to Avatar to focus more on families and resemble The Godfather films. “We still want to show you things that you haven’t even seen or imagined, but the story is very different.”
But why the Avengers hate? Maybe Cameron is feeling resentful of Marvel franchises because his 1997 hit film Titanic was recently surpassed by Black Panther in the box office.
Somebody's raging because Black Panther surpassed Titanic at the box office https://t.co/QFfIWoRqvf— Rin Chupeco [THE HEART FORGER, out 3/20/18] (@RinChupeco) April 22, 2018
Cameron did admit that he doesn’t know “where tastes are going in respect to science fiction” because he hasn’t made a TV show or movie in a while. Yikes.
Read the full interview over at IndieWire.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.