- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Today 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Today 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Today 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Today 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Today 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Today 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
This dating sim allows you to seduce sexy ISIS terrorists.
In The Super Patriotic Dating Simulator, you play as a sexy 19-year-old CIA agent tasked with seducing members of ISIS. Raising funds on Kickstarter, it was created by Cards Against Humanity‘s Karlee Esmailli. It’s meant to satirize the absurdity of the dating sim genre, but it’s also very literally a game about horny terrorists with ripped abs.
If you’re at all familiar with dating sims, you’ll recognize the format: The protagonist, Elodie, is a cute anime girl; you guide her actions through a series of choose-your-own-adventure menu screens, encountering cute guys and (in theory) finding love. Except, in this case, you’re also trying to kill them because you’re in the CIA.
This may sound like needlessly controversial edgelord humor, and hey, maybe it is. But as Esmailli explains on the game’s Kickstarter page, The Super Patriotic Dating Simulator was inspired by her experiences as an Iranian-American woman. Part of the satire is aimed at white people’s assumptions about Islam and the Middle East, and Esmailli has some deep thoughts on dating sims as a cultural phenomenon.
“Dating SIMs, as a genre, have strong roots in the expression of sexuality. Female characters in many dating SIMs are built as sexual objects for heterosexual male players. I wanted to contribute a grounded, accurate, female perspective to this genre typically dominated by the male gaze. The protagonist’s story arc in the game centers around the questions that I asked myself as a young woman. Elodie, the main character, wonders: Why am I not orgasming from just penetration? How do I orgasm? Am I gay or straight? Does my virginity matter? Why didn’t anyone tell me about this?”
All that being said, this is pretty clearly a comedy game. The trailer is relentlessly perky, with a ditzy voiceover from its unlikely heroine.
The Kickstarter campaign promises to deliver the game in December 2019, at a price of $15. For $5,000, creators will design an in-game character based on you, to be rescued heroically by Elodie. What a way to immortalize your legacy!
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor