- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Thursday 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Thursday 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying women can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Thursday 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Thursday 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Thursday 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Thursday 9:53 AM
Idris Elba reveals he auditioned for Gaston in ‘Beauty and the Beast’
Just think of what we missed out on!
Unfortunately for us, divine intervention lost the world its opportunity to see Elba play darts and break hearts as Gaston himself, even though he threw his name into the ring.
In an interview with People, Elba revealed that he actually auditioned for the part but, alas, wasn’t chosen for the role. Instead, Luke Evans beautifully portrayed the vain and vengeful Gaston.
“I honestly love musicals. I auditioned for Beauty and the Beast. I really did, for Gaston, for the movie,” Elba said. “I called, I said, ‘Listen, I want in!’ They were like, ‘Well… Yeah, OK.’ So somewhere they have a tape of me singing.”
While we might not be able to live in this alternate timeline where Elba flexes his charm (and his arms) in a live-action Disney film, could the “tape” of this audition make its way into the daylight? Perhaps not, according to Elba.
“Here’s the thing: no,” Elba when asked about unveiling the audition.
And why can’t the world see this godly gift to earth—was it that bad?
“Well, I didn’t get the part!” Elba said.
Watch Elba’s interview, and get a brief listen to his pipes, in the video below:
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.