- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
Idris Elba reveals he auditioned for Gaston in ‘Beauty and the Beast’
Just think of what we missed out on!
Unfortunately for us, divine intervention lost the world its opportunity to see Elba play darts and break hearts as Gaston himself, even though he threw his name into the ring.
In an interview with People, Elba revealed that he actually auditioned for the part but, alas, wasn’t chosen for the role. Instead, Luke Evans beautifully portrayed the vain and vengeful Gaston.
“I honestly love musicals. I auditioned for Beauty and the Beast. I really did, for Gaston, for the movie,” Elba said. “I called, I said, ‘Listen, I want in!’ They were like, ‘Well… Yeah, OK.’ So somewhere they have a tape of me singing.”
While we might not be able to live in this alternate timeline where Elba flexes his charm (and his arms) in a live-action Disney film, could the “tape” of this audition make its way into the daylight? Perhaps not, according to Elba.
“Here’s the thing: no,” Elba when asked about unveiling the audition.
And why can’t the world see this godly gift to earth—was it that bad?
“Well, I didn’t get the part!” Elba said.
Watch Elba’s interview, and get a brief listen to his pipes, in the video below:
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.