- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
This is the moment Angela Lansbury and Jerry Orbach made magic on ‘Be Our Guest’
When you can get two Broadway legends in the room to perform at once, something pretty special happens—and the recording of the soundtrack for the animated Beauty and the Beast is no exception.
In a new clip from Howard, an upcoming documentary about the life of legendary lyricist Howard Ashman, viewers are taken behind the scenes of one of the recording sessions for “Be Our Guest.” Jerry Orbach (Lumière) and Angela Lansbury (Mrs. Potts) are on hand to record their parts of the song. With accompaniment from a live orchestra, it’s already evident to the people in the room that they had something special on their hands, and according to director Ken Wise the soundtrack was recorded like a Broadway cast soundtrack.
“It was musical theater heaven,” composer Alan Menken, who collaborated with Ashman, said.
Seeing Orbach and Lansbury at their best is an absolute treat, but after each take, we can catch glimpses of Ashman at work as he advised the actors about which words to put more emphasis on to create more of what he was looking for.
Howard will debut at the 2018 Tribeca Film Film Festival April 22.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.