- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
‘Hotel Artemis’ trailer introduces a ridiculously star-studded ‘John Wick’ ripoff
Hotel Artemis looks like an entertaining twist on John Wick‘s hotel for assassins. Boasting a star-studded cast, it’s a sci-fi/action thriller about a secret hospital for hardened criminals. This trailer is the first we’ve heard of the movie, and we’re already in love.
Jodie Foster stars as the hospital’s owner, backed up by Dave Bautista as a nurse, and Sofia Boutella as… some kind of glamorous hospital assassin? Whatever. It’s that kind of movie. Sterling K. Brown plays a thief who takes his brother to the hospital during an emergency, prompting a siege from crime boss Jeff Goldblum. The supporting cast includes Zachary Quinto, Charlie Day and Jenny Slate, and to be honest, these actors are enough to sell the movie on their own.
Written and directed by Iron Man 3 co-writer Drew Pearce, Hotel Artemis looks stylish and very fun. We expect to see plenty of comparisons to John Wick, but aside from the similar premise of the hotel/hospital for criminals, Hotel Artemis is clearly different in tone. It looks more comedic, and with actors like Jeff Goldblum, Charlie Day, and Jenny Slate onboard, you know things are going to get a little weird.
Hotel Artemis comes out on June 8.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor