- YouTube’s 2018 Rewind video is one of the most-hated videos of all time 8 Months Ago
- Roger the buff kangaroo has died at the age of 12 8 Months Ago
- Elon Musk says no one is censoring his tweets Today 12:22 PM
- Netflix drops trailer for heist movie starring Ben Affleck and Oscar Isaac Today 12:18 PM
- Offset tweeted about missing Cardi B—and the internet isn’t having it Today 12:17 PM
- Why this wild Trump resignation conspiracy theory really makes a lot of sense Today 12:14 PM
- (Likely fake) photo of people having sex on Great Pyramid sparks international outrage Today 12:07 PM
- This gay Black furry is esports’ player of the year—and he’s teaching the far-right a lesson Today 12:04 PM
- Poster for ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie sparks memes Today 11:54 AM
- Gritty, seal with eel top Twitter’s choices for Trump’s next chief of staff Today 11:36 AM
- Police forcefully yank one-year-old baby from mother’s arms during arrest Today 10:41 AM
- ‘Watership Down’ producer warns parents that Netflix adaptation isn’t for kids Today 10:35 AM
- Don’t insult Nickelback in front of Deadpool Today 10:32 AM
- PewDiePie calls Lilly Singh an ‘idiot’ for wondering why female YouTubers aren’t top earners Today 9:40 AM
- Jack Dorsey had an amazing birthday in Myanmar, where social media enabled genocide Today 9:27 AM
‘Hotel Artemis’ trailer introduces a ridiculously star-studded ‘John Wick’ ripoff
Hotel Artemis looks like an entertaining twist on John Wick‘s hotel for assassins. Boasting a star-studded cast, it’s a sci-fi/action thriller about a secret hospital for hardened criminals. This trailer is the first we’ve heard of the movie, and we’re already in love.
Jodie Foster stars as the hospital’s owner, backed up by Dave Bautista as a nurse, and Sofia Boutella as… some kind of glamorous hospital assassin? Whatever. It’s that kind of movie. Sterling K. Brown plays a thief who takes his brother to the hospital during an emergency, prompting a siege from crime boss Jeff Goldblum. The supporting cast includes Zachary Quinto, Charlie Day and Jenny Slate, and to be honest, these actors are enough to sell the movie on their own.
Written and directed by Iron Man 3 co-writer Drew Pearce, Hotel Artemis looks stylish and very fun. We expect to see plenty of comparisons to John Wick, but aside from the similar premise of the hotel/hospital for criminals, Hotel Artemis is clearly different in tone. It looks more comedic, and with actors like Jeff Goldblum, Charlie Day, and Jenny Slate onboard, you know things are going to get a little weird.
Hotel Artemis comes out on June 8.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.