- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
Hot Topic’s ‘Penny Dreadful’ collection is for all the aspiring goths out there
No complaints about historical accuracy, please. This is Hot Topic, after all.
The retailer’s Penny Dreadful collection is dedicated to a faux-Victorian style inspired by Eva Green’s Penny Dreadful character Vanessa Ives, who wears some truly stunning costumes on the show. Unfortunately, Hot Topic’s interpretation mostly aims for minidresses and tank tops rather than floor-length vampire gowns, but hey, they probably know what sells. If you want something more authentic, you’ll have to spend a lot of money on Ebay and Etsy.
Our favorite detail from this video is the scorpion lace, which looks like an abstract pattern until you take a closer look. The 1890s London map dress will also be a hit among Sherlock Holmes fans, although we’re not sure what wet-look leggings have to do with Penny Dreadful or the Victorian era.
For a full-on Vanessa Ives aesthetic (i.e. hollow eyes, messy hair, and an air of being personally tormented by Satan), we recommend this makeup tutorial and these hair instructions from XOVain. Summer may be on its way, but it’s never too late to embrace your inner goth.
Screengrab via hottopic/YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor