- ‘Portrait of a Lady on Fire’ is a transcendent, lesbian period romance 1 Month Ago
- Where to stream ‘Zombieland’ before ‘Double Tap’ comes out 1 Month Ago
- ‘Deadpool’ screenwriter says that Disney sequel will still be R-rated 1 Month Ago
- #DeleteFacebook trends amid report of Zuckerberg meeting with prominent conservatives 1 Month Ago
- The Pixelbook Go is Google’s first attempt at a mid-range Chromebook 1 Month Ago
- All the games coming to Google Stadia Today 10:49 AM
- Google just announced a line of Nest-branded smart home products Today 10:36 AM
- ‘Fake news’ is helping conspiracy theorists deny Turkish atrocities Today 10:15 AM
- YouTuber immediately loses gig with Sanders campaign over sexualized MLK video Today 9:59 AM
- John Bolton becomes the most uncomfortable resistance hero yet Today 9:16 AM
- Robert Eggers on the long, hard road to ‘The Lighthouse’ Today 9:10 AM
- How to watch the fourth 2020 Democratic debate Today 9:00 AM
- Is social media normalizing cultural appropriation? Today 7:45 AM
- Zoë Kravitz will play Catwoman after being told she was too ‘urban’ for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Today 6:36 AM
- The 5 best Spike Lee movies Today 5:00 AM
HBO is close to ordering a pilot of a Game of Thrones prequel spinoff, all about House Targaryen, according to Deadline. Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin and Ryan J. Condal (Colony) are slated to serve as the executive producers of the series, which will be set 300 years before the events we watched unfold in Game of Thrones.
It will show us the events that led up to and the Dance of the Dragons itself, a Targaryen civil war which occurred about 200 years before the events in Game of Thrones. In Game of Thrones, Shireen Baratheon detailed the civil war after reading a book about it.
“It’s the story of the fight between Rhaenyra Targaryen and her half-brother Aegon for control over the Seven Kingdoms,” Shireen said to her father, Stannis Baratheon, per EW. “Both of them thought they belonged on the Iron Throne. When people started declaring for one of them or the other, their fight divided the kingdoms in two. Brothers fought brothers, dragons fought dragons. By the time it was over, thousands were dead. And it was a disaster for the Targaryens as well. They never truly recovered.”
The series will follow the storyline of Martin’s Fire & Blood, which was released in 2018 and told House Targaryen’s about 150-year history. Fire & Blood is set to be released in two volumes, but the second volume is reportedly years away from release.
Multiple writers tried their hand at writing the pilot script until it was apparently perfected by Condal.
The House Targaryen series has no title, as of yet.
Another untitled, mysterious Game of Thrones prequel is in the works for HBO, which will star Naomi Watts and is set thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones. This prequel’s vibes are reportedly much different than GOT’s, so maybe the House Targaryen series will give fans who are eager for more Game of Thrones what they’ve been craving ever since the show ended in May.
- Everything we know about the ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel spinoffs
- How the Dance of the Dragons tore Westeros apart
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now?
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.