- Gabrielle Union deserves better from Terry Crews Tuesday 11:12 PM
- T.I. publicly apologizes to daughters after Kobe Bryant’s death Tuesday 8:46 PM
- ‘Squash the boss’: Labor union seemingly unknowingly posted furry fetish art Tuesday 8:04 PM
- TikTok user pretending to be lab technician who has contracted coronavirus Tuesday 7:08 PM
- Caroline Calloway says she plans to campaign for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Justin Bieber, Snoop Dogg, millions of others sign petition to make Kobe Bryant new NBA logo Tuesday 5:39 PM
- No, Lana Del Rey did not cry because Billie Eilish won album of the year Tuesday 4:48 PM
- People are exposing their eyeballs to phone flash for this TikTok challenge Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth Tuesday 3:41 PM
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Tuesday 3:30 PM
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings Tuesday 3:21 PM
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Tuesday 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Tuesday 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Tuesday 12:21 PM
Legendary animator Hayao Miyazaki retired in 2013 (not for the first time), but now he is coming out of retirement to make another feature film, according to a Studio Ghibli producer.
Reports of Miyazaki returning to filmmaking first surfaced late last year after he learned to animate on a computer and made a CG short titled Kemushi no Boro. He wanted to turn Kemushi no Boro (Boro the Caterpillar) into a feature film but was awaiting word from Studio Ghibli.
Producer Toshio Suzuki, who is up for Best Animated Feature for The Red Turtle, appeared to confirm that Miyazaki is coming out of retirement at a pre-Oscars event Thursday night. Video of the event has yet to surface but the news was tweeted out by some in attendance, including a reporter who works at a major Japanese news agency. Suzuki is set to produce it.
BREAKING: Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki confirms that Hayao Miyazaki is currently working on his next feature length film
— Chuck D. (@WolfgangChuckD) February 24, 2017
Toshio Suzuki confirms at the Academy that Miyazaki is definitely un-retired. And Suzuki is producing his next feature.
— Cartoon Brew (@cartoonbrew) February 24, 2017
“Right now in Tokyo, he’s putting all his effort into making it [the feature],” Suzuki said, according to a report for Kyodo News translated by Kotaku.
Not much is known about Kumushi no Boro aside from a description from Miyazaki himself: it’s “a story of a tiny, hairy caterpillar, so tiny that it may be easily squished between your fingers.” Snippets of the short can be seen in a video posted to YouTube in November.
While there’s no timeline for Miyazaki’s next film, it will reportedly be released prior to the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, possibly in 2019.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.