- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate 5 Years Ago
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
Best friend ever turns apartment into Hogwarts
She didn’t get her Hogwarts letter till she turned 28, but it was worth the wait.
Redditor Katie, a.k.a. SoButtons, got the best birthday present ever on Tuesday when her longtime best friend transformed her entire apartment into a magical world filled with Harry Potter-themed surprises.
According to Katie, her absent-minded husband had a habit of perpetually forgetting her birthday, which may have fed into her bestie’s desire to make sure the occasion was impossible to miss.
The solution? Transform Katie’s entire apartment into Hogwarts, with details from J.K. Rowling‘s dense magical universe bursting from every room.
The party, celebrating Katie’s 28th birthday, came complete with attention to details big and small. Like the obligatory influx of Hogwarts letters, which Harry first receives in a flurry originating from his fireplace. To recreate the effect, SoButton’s BFF dangled letters from her living room ceiling.
Other Hogwarts-related details included an homage to the Moaning Myrtle’s haunted toilet and the shifting staircases in the castle.
Plenty of details didn’t make it on camera. Katie noted that in addition to the Moaning Myrtle toilet, her friend wrote the chilling message from Chamber of Secrets on the mirror in red:
The Chamber of Secrets has been opened. Enemies of the Heir, Beware.
The Fat Lady, Gringotts Bank, Platform 9 and ¾, and the escaped wizards of Azkaban prison also made an appearance. And Katie’s birthday cake came courtesy of Hagrid’s typo-laden birthday cake from the first book.
And of course, since no Harry Potter theme would be complete without a few Death Eaters around, or at least accused Death Eaters.
Photos via Imgur
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.