- People are calling rapper Tekashi 69 a ‘snitch’ for outing gang members 3 Years Ago
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis 3 Years Ago
- Maybe we should start taking Tom DeLonge seriously about UFOs Today 9:11 AM
- Get ready to argue about the alternate-history politics of HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Today 8:53 AM
- Third instance of Justin Trudeau wearing racist makeup emerges after he apologized for first 2 Today 8:45 AM
- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend Today 8:12 AM
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
Previews for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the upcoming two-part Harry Potter stage play, will soon be upon us. And since we’ve already met the Potters, it’s time for fans to meet the Granger-Weasleys.
Pottermore released official cast photos of Ron, Hermione, and their daughter Rose on Wednesday morning, revealing just how much (and how little) has changed in the 19 years since the events of Deathly Hallows. Paul Thornley, Noma Dumezweni, and Cherrelle Skeete will portray, Ron, Hermione, and Rose respectively.
For one thing, Pottermore reveals that Ron and Hermione decided to hyphen their surnames—which falls in line with Emma Watson’s belief that Hermione wouldn’t just change her name to Weasley.
Rose Granger-Weasley is the character we know the least about, but we’ll recognize flashes of her character in a beloved bookworm we’re more than familiar with. J.K. Rowling described her as being “like her mother, but more secure, more grounded.”
“Rose is ambitious, obviously her mum is Hermione so she’s got a lot to live up to,” Skeete explained. “I think they’re quite similar in the fact they put a lot of pressure on themselves. And she just wants to do the right thing.”
According to Rowling, Dumezweni “gets Hermione inside out” and is shown with her wand on display.
“Being in full costume for the first time was stunning, because I went, ‘Ahhh there you are’,” she said.
Ron, however, hasn’t really changed much in the 19 years since we’ve last seen him; his feet just hurt a bit more, Rowling notes.
“We had to make it look as though he doesn’t really care what he wears in the morning,” Thornley said. “We wanted to find a jumper, that is definitely his favourite jumper, and that I think gets washed occasionally. He wants to essentially be comfortable at all times, hence comfortable cords, comfortable jumper, comfortable shoes. I don’t believe he’s a man who spends an awful lot of time shopping.”
According to Pottermore, there will be another reveal of The Cursed Child characters on Thursday.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.