- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
Fanartist creates beautiful playing cards inspired by the ‘Hamilton’ cast
These ‘Hamilton’ playing cards reimagine the cast as college students.
Fandom tarot cards have been popular for a while now, and it’s easy to see why. They combine cool fanart with a Hogwarts-style process of sorting characters into personality types—plus, you get a new deck of tarot cards once you’re done.
Traditional playing cards are a little less common for some reason, so we were excited to come across this awesome deck inspired by Hamilton. Using Photoshop, Tumblr user birdloaf created a card for each of the musical’s main characters, sorted into the four suits.
Birdloaf’s playing cards are thoughtful as well as beautiful, each one corresponding to the character’s role in the show. For instance, George III is the melodramatic King of Hearts, Thomas Jefferson is a mic-toting emcee, and Hamilton turns paper into diamonds with the power of the written word.
In an email to the Daily Dot, birdloaf explained that John Laurens was the easiest choice: the Jack of Hearts. “Impassioned, rebellious, bit of a martyr complex… plus his nickname was Jack.”
College AUs are one of the most popular subgenres of alternate universe fanfic, second only to high schools and coffee shops. It’s also a perfect choice for Hamilton, which highlighted the youthful scrappiness of America’s revolutionary history. Birdloaf’s ragtag bunch of students and activists are a fun update of Lin Manuel Miranda‘s characters, a remix of a remix.
“I think it started with people joking on tumblr about Jefferson being a Vape Bro since his character in the musical is, to put it lightly, kind of a tool,” birdloaf told us. After that, she wound up livestreaming her drawing process so viewers could contribute details like Laurens’ tattoos.
Nothing is more accurate than Alexander Hamilton as a caffeine-eyed undergrad with carpal tunnel, juggling three majors and a retail job. This fanart series is on point.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor