- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Watford Friday 9:00 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Eibar Friday 6:00 PM
- How to stream ‘Bigfoot’ Silva vs. Gabriel Gonzaga in BKFC Friday 6:00 PM
- Demi Lovato’s nude photos allegedly leaked on Snapchat Friday 3:07 PM
- NBA TV is the new streaming service for basketball fanatics Friday 3:02 PM
- California residents will get cell phone alerts seconds before earthquakes Friday 2:29 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. RCD Mallorca Friday 2:00 PM
- Trump accused of ‘using the language of ethnic cleansing’ regarding Kurds Friday 1:42 PM
- Hillary Clinton also thinks Tulsi Gabbard is a Russian bot Friday 1:13 PM
- TikTok girls dancing to voicemails from sh*tty exes is a vibe Friday 12:34 PM
- Netflix reports strong growth—but it faces 3 major hurdles in Q4 Friday 12:33 PM
- Telegram is hosting videos of extrajudicial killings in Syria Friday 12:32 PM
- ‘El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie’ tops 8 million viewers in first week Friday 11:31 AM
- ‘Uncut Gems’ brings a high-stakes gambling risk to life Friday 11:29 AM
- Mark Zuckerberg gives a revisionist history about why he started Facebook in big speech Friday 10:52 AM
Star Wars Day has already given us plenty of amazing surprises, with Vanity Fair‘s The Force Awakens photoshoot being one of the coolest. First, we saw Annie Leibovitz’s video from the set, then the magazine revealed Adam Driver and Lupita Nyong’o’s characters, and now we’re getting to see Gwendoline Christie in character as Captain Phasma.
Christie is best known for her role as Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised to see her playing another imposing warrior in shiny armor. Her picture from Annie Leibovitz’s photoshoot is incredibly badass, showing Christie wearing a long cape and a metallic variation of the classic stormtrooper costume.
Captain Phasma is an officer in the First Order, an organization that developed to replace the Galactic Empire. You can catch a glimpse of her in action in the second trailer for The Force Awakens.
If anything, this photoshoot proves that Lucasfilm only has to share the name and photo of new Star Wars characters to get the entire Internet to freak out. Lupita Nyong’o is a space pirate! Gwendoline Christie is a badass evil military officer with a cape! We’re here for it all.
As if the photo reveal itself weren’t great enough, “Captain Phasma” almost immediately began trending on Twitter.
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia (CC BY SA 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor