- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid Friday 10:44 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Arsenal Friday 10:28 PM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace Friday 10:05 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Norwich City Friday 8:55 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 Serie A season Friday 8:05 PM
- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
Star Wars Day has already given us plenty of amazing surprises, with Vanity Fair‘s The Force Awakens photoshoot being one of the coolest. First, we saw Annie Leibovitz’s video from the set, then the magazine revealed Adam Driver and Lupita Nyong’o’s characters, and now we’re getting to see Gwendoline Christie in character as Captain Phasma.
Christie is best known for her role as Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised to see her playing another imposing warrior in shiny armor. Her picture from Annie Leibovitz’s photoshoot is incredibly badass, showing Christie wearing a long cape and a metallic variation of the classic stormtrooper costume.
Captain Phasma is an officer in the First Order, an organization that developed to replace the Galactic Empire. You can catch a glimpse of her in action in the second trailer for The Force Awakens.
If anything, this photoshoot proves that Lucasfilm only has to share the name and photo of new Star Wars characters to get the entire Internet to freak out. Lupita Nyong’o is a space pirate! Gwendoline Christie is a badass evil military officer with a cape! We’re here for it all.
As if the photo reveal itself weren’t great enough, “Captain Phasma” almost immediately began trending on Twitter.
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Wikimedia (CC BY SA 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor