- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
English actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw just landed a major role in Marvel‘s Disney+ series Loki, starring alongside Tom Hiddleston. Her character hasn’t been revealed yet, but Deadline reports that she’s the female lead.
Mbatha-Raw is no stranger to sci-fi/fantasy media, to the point where it just felt like a matter of time before she appeared in the MCU. Doctor Who fans may recognize her from her early role as Martha Jones’ sister, followed by roles in Jupiter Ascending, A Wrinkle In Time, and The Cloverfield Paradox. She also starred in the popular Black Mirror episode “San Junipero,” and last year’s cult sci-fi hit Fast Color.
While it’s often relatively easy to guess new Marvel characters from context clues, this Loki role could basically be anyone. In terms of Asgardian/Norse mythology-inspired characters, Mbatha-Raw could play Sigyn or the superhero Angela—although Angela really feels like a character who deserves her own spinoff. However, Mbatha-Raw could just as easily be playing anyone from Marvel canon or a completely new character. The show is about time travel, allowing a lot of creative leeway for casting choices. She could even be playing another version of Loki since the character is genderfluid in the comics and in the mythological source material.
Along with Tom Hiddleston and Mbatha-Raw, the show will star Owen Wilson and English actress Sophia Di Martino. Their roles are also still under wraps.
Loki‘s first season will air in 2021, with Marvel’s first Disney+ show, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, arriving this fall.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor