- Sebastian Gorka blocks pundit over Fleshlight joke Today 1:56 AM
- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Sunday 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Sunday 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Sunday 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Sunday 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Sunday 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
Ever wonder where the masterminds behind costuming for Game of Thrones get all of those incredible outfits? Well, the shabby-but-warm looking cloaks worn by Night’s Watch come from somewhere you’d never expect—IKEA.
The show’s costumer, Michele Clapton, revealed to an audience at Getty museum in Los Angeles last year that the brothers of the Watch outfitted in cheap IKEA rugs, which are aged and frosted to fit the environment.
Game of Thrones is one of the most expensive television shows ever, so it’s no surprise HBO cuts costs where it can. You don’t want to skimp on the dragon animation budget (and they certainly didn’t this season), but the Night’s Watch is used to making due with hand-me-downs and limited resources.
If you are looking to watch the whole talk you can. If you’re just interested in the IKEA cloak details, those appear around the 27:30 mark in the video below.
Clapton didn’t reveal precisely which type of IKEA rug is used, but if you are looking to properly portray one of the brave watchers on the wall, at least now you know where to start.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.