- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos 4 Months Ago
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Today 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Today 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Today 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Today 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Today 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Today 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Today 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Today 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Today 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Today 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Today 1:24 PM
- Trump thinks Google made 16 million people vote for Clinton Today 12:54 PM
- Danny McBride’s ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ is a wicked televangelist comedy Today 12:46 PM
The final season of Game of Thrones is here at long last. We’ve spent more than a year eagerly awaiting the six-episode finale, and we are going to need plenty of booze to get through what is sure to be an incredibly action-packed and bloody season. Luckily, internet houses dozens of great drinking games to help us chug our way through every character death and awkward, incestuous sex scene. Here are some of the best Game of Thrones drinking games.
5 best Game of Thrones drinking games
Before the iconic opening credits begin, make sure you have a drink—or five—in hand, and select one of these great drinking games to help you through the Long Night.
1) BuzzFeed’s ultimate Game of Thrones drinking game
Of the many things that the people over at BuzzFeed do well, drinking is near the top of the list (just under those orgasmic food videos). Some of the publication’s collection of excellent Game of Thrones drinking rules are a bit outdated, but most of them will go perfectly with the final episodes of HBO’s award-winning series.
Rules like “Whenever you see a boob on screen you have to sing whatever the next person says,” add an extra layer to the game. For people looking for an excuse to go all Lannister on that glass of wine, check out BuzzFeed’s page.
- Cleganebowl is the Game of Thrones theory most likely to come true
- Where is Game of Thrones filmed?
- The best Game of Thrones podcasts
- All of the Game of Thrones maps you need to see
2) International Business Times’ Game of Thrones drinking game
For a more recent take on great Westerosi drinking game rules, the International Business Times published a list for season 7’s premiere. The rules helpfully break down how many drinks each rule requires, so people who are interested in results will definitely be happy with this booze-intensive version.
The Times’ rules require players to take between a sip and a shot depending on what’s happening on screen. There’s no shouting, competition, or ill-advised singing in this version, but what it lacks in drama, it makes up for with the brutal hangover you will doubtless suffer after playing. Take a shot whenever “a minor character dies”? In the last season of this bloody show, a drinking game this intense will require you to call into work on Monday.
3) TV Tropes Game of Thrones drinking game
It’s not just the clever word choice that earns TV Tropes a shoutout. The page is nice enough to block out any potential spoilers so that a casual perusal won’t ruin any big moments for newcomers. This version includes extra rules to enhance the fun, like assigning players a religion. Each time their assigned religion is mentioned, players have to drink. Added to these rules are traditional “every time __ does __, take a sip,” which rounds the game out nicely. A small warning, however: The formatting on this site leaves a bit to be desired.
- What we know so far about Game of Thrones season 8
- The best Game of Thrones podcasts
- How do you kill a dragon on Game of Thrones?
- The 15 best Game of Thrones episodes to watch and rewatch
4) Games Radar’s Game of Thrones drinking game
For a simple, streamlined, and mostly up-to-date Game of Thrones drinking game, Games Radar has you covered. The site published a drinking game for season 7, so if you ignore the rules revolving around the Freys and Littlefinger, you should be good.
There are no extra game rules, so this set is perfect for anyone looking for a more relaxed Game of Thrones viewing. Plus, it excludes any shots and most “pound your drink” rules, so if you have to work early on Mondays, this version might be a wise choice.
5) NME’s Game of Thrones drinking game
Another nearly current take on Game of Thrones boozy shenanigans lives at NME.com. This take on season 7 rules has a few references to deceased characters—take that Baelish, you little weasel—but overall, they hold up.
This list lets viewers know how many fingers of booze—which approximate to ounces—each rule requires you to consume. Lyanna Mormont’s iconic sass only adds up to a single finger, but a mere curl of Cercei’s lip amounts to a full three. If you are drinking hard liquor, you might not make it to the end of the episode. Especially since we know the shortest season 8 episode clocks in at just under an hour.
- Gendry is Game of Thrones season 8’s major wild card
- Will Jorah Mormont be redeemed in Game of Thrones season 8
- Will Jon Snow ride Viserion in Game of Thrones season 8?
- The 10 best Game of Thrones season 8 theories
The Daily Dot’s Game of Thrones drinking game
We simply couldn’t help ourselves. If none of those other drinking games do it for you, consider trying out the Daily Dot’s specially curated Game of Thrones drinking game. Warning: We believe in giving your liver plenty of exercise, so proceed with caution.
- Take a shot anytime a named character dies
- Shout “dracarys” and take two big gulps anytime a dragon breathes fire
- Cheers the person next to you, then avoid awkward eye contact whenever there is a sex scene
- Take a drink and switch seats with someone else anytime the Iron Throne is mentioned
- Say “a girl has no name” as fast as you can anytime Arya changes her face. Whoever finishes last pounds the rest of their drink.
- Take a drink any time someone takes a drink on screen—if you want to die of alcohol poisoning anytime Cercei has a scene.
- BuzzFeed’s “cunt” rule was too good to pass up. It goes like this: “Every time anyone says the word ‘cunt,’ you all have to stand up shout ‘CUNT’ and take a sip.”
- Any time the Night King is on screen, it’s a race to be the first on your feet. Whoever wins slowly raises their hands. Everyone else has to drink until they stop.
- Whenever a character bends the knee, take a knee yourself, along with three big gulps.
- Make your bets for who will take the Iron Throne early on. When we find out who the ultimate victor is, the person who guessed correctly gets to hand out shots to all the losers.
Need more news from beyond the Wall? Sign up here to receive our weekly Game of Thrones newsletter from in-house expert Michelle Jaworski.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.