- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots 1 Month Ago
- James Charles drops 41-minute response video to Tati Westbrook’s accusations 1 Month Ago
- Watch what happens when this Twitch streamer quits his job on camera Today 12:25 PM
- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Today 10:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Maria’ is a trigger-happy B-movie Today 9:07 AM
- How to stream Money in the Bank 2019 for free Today 9:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 6 for free Today 8:00 AM
- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever Today 7:54 AM
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu Today 7:00 AM
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Today 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Trump posts a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
‘Game of Thrones’ just announced an album featuring the Weeknd, SZA, and Travis Scott
Game of Thrones is recruiting some major musical powerhouses for its eighth and final season.
On Tuesday morning, the official Twitter account for Game of Thrones shared a clip that teased an album of “music inspired by the HBO series.” The tweet listed Ellie Goulding, A$AP Rocky, Lil Peep, Mumford & Sons, Matthew Bellamy, the National, Travis Scott, the Weeknd, SZA, and others as musicians contributing to the album, which is arriving on April 26.
— Game of Thrones (@GameOfThrones) April 9, 2019
It’s far from the first time that HBO has collaborated with musicians to bring Westeros to life. A few years ago, several rappers and artists (who also loved Game of Thrones) collaborated on Catch the Throne, a mixtape that was inspired by the show. A dozen musicians have cameoed on the show to date. The National and Sigur Rós have both recorded covers of “The Rains of Castamere”—the former played during the credits of season 2’s “Blackwater” while the latter appeared in season 4’s “The Lion and the Rose”—while The Hold Steady recorded a version of “The Bear and the Maiden Fair” for season 3.
And there was the Coldplay Game of Thrones musical created for Red Nose Day in 2015.
According to Pitchfork, the Weeknd, SZA, and Travis Scott are all collaborating on one of the songs on the album, which will debut during season 8. Not much is known about the song itself, only that the Weeknd was reportedly asked to make a song and he asked SZA and Scott to join him.
A small clip from the song, which is currently untitled, appeared to have dropped in a Glamstone video featuring current and former Game of Thrones cast members after the season 8 premiere last week.
We’ll have to wait a couple of weeks to hear the full album.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.