- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
Two weeks ago, it was rumored that a Fortnite and Stranger Things crossover event would be happening. The rumor seems to be coming true as the portals seen in Netflix’s ’80s sci-fi series started popping up in certain sections of the Fortnite map.
There are multiple portals, all centered around Fortnite’s Mega Mall location. They all have the same fleshy, creepy vibe of the portals seen in Stranger Things’ Hawkins, Indiana.
In Stranger Things, the portals lead to what the kids call the “Upside Down,” an alternate dimension home to otherworldly beasts like the Demogorgon, which pursues Eleven in the first season. In Fortnite, it appears that the portals just teleport you to the mouth of another portal somewhere around the map.
An ice cream shop named “Scoops Ahoy!” showed up in Megal Mall at the start of season 9 of Fortnite, an explicit reference to an identical shop seen in Stranger Things’ trailer for season 3.
The portals have made the already popular Mega Mall a bit more hectic to navigate, considering the constantly teleporting players.
Currently, there’s still no word on if this crossover event is going to result in some unique tie-in skins for players or items. Previous crossover events with the John Wick and Avengers franchises have resulted in as much, so we’ll have to wait and see.
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen?
- 9 Fortnite memes that are (almost) as sweet as a Victory Royale
- How to make a 16-player lobby in Fortnite
- The best Fortnite skins: Cuddle bears, ancient vikings, and more
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.