- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays Friday 1:04 PM
- Go green and save green with solar-powered Christmas lights Friday 1:02 PM
- Bloomberg on diversity in 2020 race: ‘Don’t complain to me’ Friday 12:40 PM
- Midge flaunts the worst side of herself in ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ season 3 Friday 12:17 PM
- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds Friday 10:44 AM
Here’s the ‘Sin City’ sequel trailer you’ve been waiting for
Frank Miller’s sleezy, stylish hit is back with an all-star cast.
Comics fans, Robert Rodriguez fans, Jessica Alba fans, Bruce WIllis fans, Joseph Gordon-Levitt fans, fans of hot girls doing striptease in Robert Rodriguez films…
Let’s face it, is there anyone who won’t be happy about Sin City: A Dame to Kill For? Well… women, maybe.
But we can’t help it: we enjoyed the first one and we’ll probably love this one, too. For starters, it’s just as gorgeous as its predecessor:
For another thing, just look at that cast. Joseph Gordon-Levitt probably won’t actually be reprising his Looper gig playing a younger version of Willis, but we don’t care, we’re down for whatever keeps pairing these two stars together. And we’re still not over Jessica Alba’s dancing in the first film, so let’s just say we’re pretty happy campers right now. But let’s face it—Sin City couldn’t be more blatant:
As for the rampant sexism that characterized its predecessor…. well. No one sends up sexist tropes by making them so over-the-top they become ridiculous and enjoyable quite like Robert Rodriguez. Still, we enjoyed the first film despite, not because, of its blatant violence and objectification of women. Now, with a title like A Dame to Kill For, it looks like the franchise is being boldly direct about the kind of movie we can expect.
So color us grudgingly excited. Who knows? Maybe the combined badassery of Alba and Rosario Dawson will be enough to overcome the series’ track record so far.
Otherwise, a whole bunch of our faves just lined up to produce a movie that will undoubtedly alienate 52 percent of its audience and leave us grudgingly wanting more.
Screengrab via YouTube; GIFs by Aja Romano
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.