- Paul Rudd’s appearance on ‘Hot Ones’ becomes an instantly iconic meme 6 Years Ago
- Network of fake news sites in Michigan appears to be right-wing propaganda effort Today 6:30 AM
- ‘BoJack Horseman’ hints at a brutal reckoning in its final season Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Slavia Praha in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League Today 1:00 AM
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
Peter Capaldi wins us over as the new Doctor in one adorable video
Peter Capaldi convinces all of us that he’s the perfect Doctor in under 30 seconds.
Since the controversial announcement last year that he would be the Twelfth Doctor, many fans have voiced doubts that he has the chops to fill the shoes of Doctor Who‘s departing Eleven, Matt Smith. Although Capaldi is an Oscar-winning writer and acclaimed actor, notably for the British satirical dramedy The Thick of It, many fans felt he might be too old to play the part of the bouncy time-and-space explorer.
But in this heartwarming interaction with a young fan in an adorable Dalek costume, Capaldi convinces us that he’s the perfect Doctor for the part.
“Matt was very nice to me, as Jenna [Coleman] was, too,” Capaldi tells the fan, a young girl who’s having trouble accepting that Smith is leaving.
They were both very welcoming to me when I came into the Tardis. Matt said to me to look after the Doctor. And he gave me his watch… and he said that in his own way, he was happy that it was me coming in. So I will do my very best to be as fun and as friendly as he is.
Capaldi met the fan during an appearance alongside Jenna Coleman, who played the show’s most recent companion. While Coleman chats with the fan and her family, Capaldi pulls up a picture he has on his phone and shows it to the little girl.
“That’s Matt and Jenna,” the fan points out. Capaldi nods.
“So they say it’s OK for me to be the Doctor,” he assures the fan. “I hope you think it’ll be okay for me to be the Doctor, too.”
It’s more than OK with us.
Various onlookers, including the girls’ parents, captured the whole touching scene in the two YouTube videos below.
Doctor Who returns at Christmas. We can’t wait.
H/T Hypable; Screengrab via YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.