- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray 6 Years Ago
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
‘Orphan Black’ fans respond to Emmy snub with their own crowdfunded award
A new Indiegogo campaign urges fans to give Tatiana Maslany all the awards.
On the BBC America series Orphan Black, actress Tatiana Maslany deftly plays a handful of female characters, all with very different personalities and shared genetic material. It’s her embodiment of these archetypes — the “Clone Club,” as it’s known — that makes Orphan Black such an engaging watch, and gives “I’m Every Woman” a whole new level of meaning.
A Mississippi-based fan by the name of Sarah Evans spearheaded the effort, which will cost $2,000. She acknowledges Maslany’s Golden Globe nomination and Critics Choice Award, but stresses the importance of an award produced by those promoting the fandom on Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook:
“I want Maslany to have an award specifically from her fans. I think this is a perfect way as fans that we could show her how much her performance has rocked! I am commissioning an artist to create a unique awards statue specifically for the fans of Orphan Black to give to her. Contributions are necessary for this to happen plus I wanted to get as many fans involved as possible.”
The show has sci-fi roots, but there are underlying themes of sisterhood and feminism; its fandom has grown in the last year, especially with women. That Maslany’s fans want to bestow upon her a crowdfunded award speaks to those themes.
Of course, the “perks” of donating are named after Maslany’s characters: The Beth ($1), the Alison ($5), the Cosima ($25), the Sarah ($100), and the Helena ($500). The “Helena” donation earns the funder a replica statue of Maslany’s award. The “Sarah” is already sold out.
Funding ends on March 14, about a month before season two of Orphan Black debuts on April 19. In the meantime, read through our Orphan Black primer. Then give Tatiana Maslany all the awards.
Photo via BBC America
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.