- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Today 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Today 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Today 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Today 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays Friday 1:04 PM
‘Orphan Black’ fans respond to Emmy snub with their own crowdfunded award
A new Indiegogo campaign urges fans to give Tatiana Maslany all the awards.
On the BBC America series Orphan Black, actress Tatiana Maslany deftly plays a handful of female characters, all with very different personalities and shared genetic material. It’s her embodiment of these archetypes — the “Clone Club,” as it’s known — that makes Orphan Black such an engaging watch, and gives “I’m Every Woman” a whole new level of meaning.
A Mississippi-based fan by the name of Sarah Evans spearheaded the effort, which will cost $2,000. She acknowledges Maslany’s Golden Globe nomination and Critics Choice Award, but stresses the importance of an award produced by those promoting the fandom on Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook:
“I want Maslany to have an award specifically from her fans. I think this is a perfect way as fans that we could show her how much her performance has rocked! I am commissioning an artist to create a unique awards statue specifically for the fans of Orphan Black to give to her. Contributions are necessary for this to happen plus I wanted to get as many fans involved as possible.”
The show has sci-fi roots, but there are underlying themes of sisterhood and feminism; its fandom has grown in the last year, especially with women. That Maslany’s fans want to bestow upon her a crowdfunded award speaks to those themes.
Of course, the “perks” of donating are named after Maslany’s characters: The Beth ($1), the Alison ($5), the Cosima ($25), the Sarah ($100), and the Helena ($500). The “Helena” donation earns the funder a replica statue of Maslany’s award. The “Sarah” is already sold out.
Funding ends on March 14, about a month before season two of Orphan Black debuts on April 19. In the meantime, read through our Orphan Black primer. Then give Tatiana Maslany all the awards.
Photo via BBC America
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.