- New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ commercials drop a few big spoilers 4 Years Ago
- 11 party games for people sick of playing Cards Against Humanity Today 11:45 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy makes the most Curvy Wife Guy pregnancy announcement Today 11:31 AM
- ‘A Fortunate Man’ is a gorgeous, shallow adaptation of a classic novel Today 11:30 AM
- Obama’s ‘Easter worshippers’ tweet upsets conservatives Today 11:04 AM
- Trump responds to impeachment calls: ‘You can’t’ Today 10:43 AM
- Desperate YouTuber goes on ‘holy pilgrimage’ to meet PewDiePie Today 10:33 AM
- Influencer faces 20 years for hiring cousin to threaten man into giving up domain name Today 10:17 AM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ isn’t actually the end of Marvel’s Phase 3 Today 10:12 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ just obliterated every stupid argument about its place in canon Today 9:24 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ brings us lots of horny Tormund memes Today 8:46 AM
- 12 adult toys sex bloggers swear by Today 8:45 AM
- Howard Schultz mocked for ‘majority of Americans are Americans’ ad Today 8:35 AM
- The ultimate guide to strap-ons Today 8:00 AM
- Why ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ is my favorite Marvel movie Today 7:59 AM
‘Neon Genesis Evangelion’ fans want to send a replica spear to the moon
Is it worth spending $850,000 to send a replica anime weapon into space? These Evangelion fans think so.
When you really love a TV series, sometimes you want to do something to show your support, like cosplaying or writing a fanfic. Or, alternatively, by donating the best part of a million dollars to send a replica prop to the moon.
Right now, Japanese fans of the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion are doing just that. Using the crowdfunding site Readyfor, they want to raise 100 million Yen (about $840,000) before April 5, and they’re already 34 percent of the way to meeting their goal.
According to Crunchyroll‘s translation, the project aims to fund a lunar lander that will be launched into space on an American rocket, carrying a titanium alloy replica of the Spear of Longinus.
The Spear is named after the so-called Holy Lance, the weapon that supposedly pierced Jesus while he was being crucified. There are actually a handful of “real” Spear of Longinus artifacts in various museums and churches around the world, but Evangelion‘s is a little different. It looks kind of like a gigantic toasting fork, and imbues the owner with godlike powers.
This crowdfunding project is a celebration of Evangelion‘s 20th birthday, as the original series aired in 1995 and 1996. If they manage to reach the 100 million Yen goal (and it looks like they probably will), the plan is to commemorate a scene from the anime by embedding the Spear in the surface of the moon.
Photo via Benjamin Claverie/Wikimedia (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.