- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites 4 Years Ago
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings 4 Years Ago
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Today 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Today 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Today 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Today 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Today 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Today 6:41 AM
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? Today 6:00 AM
‘Neon Genesis Evangelion’ fans want to send a replica spear to the moon
Is it worth spending $850,000 to send a replica anime weapon into space? These Evangelion fans think so.
When you really love a TV series, sometimes you want to do something to show your support, like cosplaying or writing a fanfic. Or, alternatively, by donating the best part of a million dollars to send a replica prop to the moon.
Right now, Japanese fans of the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion are doing just that. Using the crowdfunding site Readyfor, they want to raise 100 million Yen (about $840,000) before April 5, and they’re already 34 percent of the way to meeting their goal.
According to Crunchyroll‘s translation, the project aims to fund a lunar lander that will be launched into space on an American rocket, carrying a titanium alloy replica of the Spear of Longinus.
The Spear is named after the so-called Holy Lance, the weapon that supposedly pierced Jesus while he was being crucified. There are actually a handful of “real” Spear of Longinus artifacts in various museums and churches around the world, but Evangelion‘s is a little different. It looks kind of like a gigantic toasting fork, and imbues the owner with godlike powers.
This crowdfunding project is a celebration of Evangelion‘s 20th birthday, as the original series aired in 1995 and 1996. If they manage to reach the 100 million Yen goal (and it looks like they probably will), the plan is to commemorate a scene from the anime by embedding the Spear in the surface of the moon.
Photo via Benjamin Claverie/Wikimedia (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor