- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player’s trans flag removed for being ‘political’ Monday 7:37 PM
- Does Donald Trump Jr. know what American soldiers do? Monday 7:17 PM
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene Monday 6:50 PM
- Parked Tesla Model S bursts into flames in shocking video Monday 3:12 PM
- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event Monday 2:44 PM
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ Monday 2:37 PM
- The best Korean beauty toners for your skincare routine Monday 2:33 PM
- Warren’s plan to cancel student debt stimulates the bad-take economy Monday 2:27 PM
- Video shows Easter Bunny punching man on sidewalk Monday 2:09 PM
- The 7 best lubes for when you wanna do butt stuff Monday 2:00 PM
- 11 best sex toys under $35 to blow your mind Monday 1:30 PM
- Twitch streamer inadvertently documents all the times she was sexually, verbally harassed on vacation Monday 1:12 PM
- Raptors coach Nick Nurse becomes a relatable meme Monday 1:12 PM
- Man wears bandage that blends in with his skin tone, and Twitter has all the feelings Monday 12:55 PM
- The 8 best Korean sunscreens to add to your bag Monday 12:15 PM
Emilia Clarke will be a cunning femme fatale in ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’
Qi’ra is a mysterious figure from Han Solo’s childhood.
Like most of the characters in Solo: A Star Wars Story, Qi’ra (Emilia Clarke) was shrouded in mystery—until now. In a new Entertainment Weekly interview, Clarke finally dished some details on the character. And yes, it looks like she may be Han Solo’s love interest.
Qi’ra and Han were childhood friends, with Clarke saying, “They grew up as pals, as partners in crime.” The movie appears to borrow some of Han’s origin story from the old Extended Universe, suggesting that he had to fend for himself as an orphan on Corellia. Apparently, Qi’ra is an “enigma,” and is “one of those relationships that has an impact on him as a character.” There’s also “a romantic side of things.”
As ever, the interview carefully dodges anything resembling a spoiler. Here’s what we do know: Qi’ra is a mysterious femme fatale, and judging by Clarke’s comment that she “has a couple of guises,” she may be some kind of con artist. Like Han and Lando, she’s carved out a place for herself in the criminal underworld.
Interestingly, Clarke calls back to a specific setpiece from The Last Jedi: the Canto Bight casino sequence. While Solo takes place in different locations, Qi’ra feels at home in a similar world of luxurious and moral grey areas. So, she’s found a different niche from Han’s typical “just got kicked out of a dive bar” vibe.
Clarke characterizes Qi’ra as a survivor, saying, “Well, if you have got a really glamorous lady in a really sordid environment you kind of know that maybe the glamour is hiding a few rough roads.”
H/T to Entertainment Weekly
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.