- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
Emilia Clarke will be a cunning femme fatale in ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’
Qi’ra is a mysterious figure from Han Solo’s childhood.
Like most of the characters in Solo: A Star Wars Story, Qi’ra (Emilia Clarke) was shrouded in mystery—until now. In a new Entertainment Weekly interview, Clarke finally dished some details on the character. And yes, it looks like she may be Han Solo’s love interest.
Qi’ra and Han were childhood friends, with Clarke saying, “They grew up as pals, as partners in crime.” The movie appears to borrow some of Han’s origin story from the old Extended Universe, suggesting that he had to fend for himself as an orphan on Corellia. Apparently, Qi’ra is an “enigma,” and is “one of those relationships that has an impact on him as a character.” There’s also “a romantic side of things.”
As ever, the interview carefully dodges anything resembling a spoiler. Here’s what we do know: Qi’ra is a mysterious femme fatale, and judging by Clarke’s comment that she “has a couple of guises,” she may be some kind of con artist. Like Han and Lando, she’s carved out a place for herself in the criminal underworld.
Interestingly, Clarke calls back to a specific setpiece from The Last Jedi: the Canto Bight casino sequence. While Solo takes place in different locations, Qi’ra feels at home in a similar world of luxurious and moral grey areas. So, she’s found a different niche from Han’s typical “just got kicked out of a dive bar” vibe.
Clarke characterizes Qi’ra as a survivor, saying, “Well, if you have got a really glamorous lady in a really sordid environment you kind of know that maybe the glamour is hiding a few rough roads.”
H/T to Entertainment Weekly
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor