- How to watch Demetrius Andrade vs. Artur Akavov for free Today 7:00 AM
- Ariana Grande’s new single ‘7 Rings’ has Twitter feeling broke Today 6:30 AM
- The end of an era: RIP, Critique My Dick Pic Today 6:30 AM
- Mastodon is crumbling—and many blame its creator Today 6:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ hints at Spock’s new role in the season 2 premiere Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Rachel Maddow’ online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Guy who wants to fund the border wall has privately raised $7 million Thursday 8:41 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11 trailer delights fans with gory fatalities, new characters Thursday 5:46 PM
- What you need to know about the data breach involving 773 email addresses Thursday 5:13 PM
- Senators fear government shutdown may affect FTC investigation of Facebook Thursday 3:43 PM
- Buy beer for a furloughed government worker with this new website Thursday 3:19 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is teaching Congress how to tweet Thursday 2:42 PM
- Congressmen held genetics meeting with Chuck Johnson, despite his past racist claims about genetics Thursday 2:26 PM
- Female bodyguard thriller ‘Close’ is disappointingly un-thrilling Thursday 2:01 PM
- Twitter faces backlash for insensitive ‘triggers’ joke Thursday 1:13 PM
Emilia Clarke will be a cunning femme fatale in ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’
Qi’ra is a mysterious figure from Han Solo’s childhood.
Like most of the characters in Solo: A Star Wars Story, Qi’ra (Emilia Clarke) was shrouded in mystery—until now. In a new Entertainment Weekly interview, Clarke finally dished some details on the character. And yes, it looks like she may be Han Solo’s love interest.
Qi’ra and Han were childhood friends, with Clarke saying, “They grew up as pals, as partners in crime.” The movie appears to borrow some of Han’s origin story from the old Extended Universe, suggesting that he had to fend for himself as an orphan on Corellia. Apparently, Qi’ra is an “enigma,” and is “one of those relationships that has an impact on him as a character.” There’s also “a romantic side of things.”
As ever, the interview carefully dodges anything resembling a spoiler. Here’s what we do know: Qi’ra is a mysterious femme fatale, and judging by Clarke’s comment that she “has a couple of guises,” she may be some kind of con artist. Like Han and Lando, she’s carved out a place for herself in the criminal underworld.
Interestingly, Clarke calls back to a specific setpiece from The Last Jedi: the Canto Bight casino sequence. While Solo takes place in different locations, Qi’ra feels at home in a similar world of luxurious and moral grey areas. So, she’s found a different niche from Han’s typical “just got kicked out of a dive bar” vibe.
Clarke characterizes Qi’ra as a survivor, saying, “Well, if you have got a really glamorous lady in a really sordid environment you kind of know that maybe the glamour is hiding a few rough roads.”
H/T to Entertainment Weekly
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.