- Trump’s rant about Megan Rapinoe devolves into treatise about PC culture in the NBA Today 10:41 AM
- Is Millie Bobby Brown joining the MCU? Today 10:39 AM
- Hundreds of thousands demand that Etika’s previously deleted YouTube channel be restored Today 10:18 AM
- Eric Trump says cocktail waitress spit on him in Chicago bar Today 9:47 AM
- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law Today 9:07 AM
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
- The best LGBTQ movies and series on Amazon Prime Today 7:00 AM
- The easiest way to stream all the soccer you can handle Today 6:00 AM
- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for 4 months Today 5:30 AM
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
‘The Dragon Prince’ season 2: Everything you need to know
The fantasy epic was renewed after just three weeks on Netflix.
Netflix‘s The Dragon Prince already won hearts with its first season, which debuted on Sept. 14, 2018. It’s a fantasy adventure series with a similar tone to Voltron or Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it was renewed for a second season after just three weeks on Netflix.
Here’s everything we know about The Dragon Prince season 2.
The Dragon Prince season 2 release date
The Dragon Prince will return on Feb. 15, 2019, confirmed by a teaser poster showing the main characters riding a giant bird.
— The Dragon Prince (@thedragonprince) January 12, 2019
Netflix’s Voltron: Legendary Defender released eight seasons between June 2016 and Dec. 2018, and if The Dragon Prince follows in its footsteps, we could see more than one season per year.
The Dragon Prince season 2 cast
The main voice cast is expected to return for Dragon Prince season 2, but we predict plenty of new additions now the main characters have embarked on their journey. In particular, we’re expecting to meet some more elf characters, possibly from different elvish cultures. Co-creator Aaron Ehasz mentioned the possibility of elves with Irish or French during our interview, so that’s one possibility.
The Dragon Prince season 2 plot
Season 2 ended with a lot of intriguing loose ends, including (most obviously) the birth of the titular Dragon Prince. Hatching from his egg in the season finale, the baby dragon is super adorable and still very mysterious—as well as instrumental in the conflict between humans and elves. Callum, Rayla and Ezran are still on their quest to deliver the Dragon Prince to safety, but they’re sure to attract more attention now the egg has actually hatched.
Meanwhile, in the human kingdom, there’s a lot going on. Viren has fully embraced dark magic and is trapping people inside magical coins, while his children Soren and Claudia are hot on our heroes’ trail. And then there’s King Harrow, who allegedly died at the start of season 1 but was almost certainly transformed into his pet bird, Pip, who is now Viren’s prisoner. Oh, and there’s that mysterious magic mirror. Phew.
The show’s creators haven’t revealed any specifics about what to expect in season 2, but co-creator Aaron Ehasz confirmed they have plans for a multiseason arc.
If you’re into hearing behind-the-scenes details, we recommend following the Dragon Prince accounts on Twitter and Tumblr. They don’t share spoilers, but they do post interesting snippets of information about the characters and setting.
The Dragon Prince season 2 news
Many fans will be glad to hear that in season 2, The Dragon Prince will feature smoother animation.
This is a rather inside-baseball criticism, but a lot of animation fans commented on the show’s slow frame rate in season 1. Basically, some viewers found the animation distractingly jerky, and the showrunners heard this criticism loud and clear. Speaking to the Verge, Ehasz explained that the almost stop-motion visual style was a result of their method of 2D computer animation, and they’ll take the frame rate issue into consideration next season:
“It’s definitely something that, in the future… we’re not gonna be able to vastly change how we make it, but we’re definitely gonna have an eye toward specific shots and scenes[:] Can we make them more fluid? Can we make them exceed the expectations that were set?”
The Dragon Prince season 2 trailer
With the release date officially scheduled for Feb. 15, we can expect a trailer to arrive soon.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor