- Redditor wants to know if he’s the a**hole for ghosting pregnant partner Thursday 8:19 PM
- How to go live on TikTok Thursday 8:08 PM
- Joey Salads suggests Democrats carried out Santa Clarita mass shooting Thursday 7:31 PM
- How influencers use TikTok to make money and launch careers Thursday 7:18 PM
- How to stream Argentina vs. Brazil live Thursday 6:51 PM
- How to watch Disney+ on a smart TV Thursday 6:28 PM
- Miss Fame calls out Justin Bieber for low music video appearance pay offer Thursday 6:19 PM
- Trump Jr. ranked No. 1 on best-seller list—after the GOP gave away copies of his book Thursday 5:45 PM
- How to get Disney+ bundle if you already subscribe to Hulu and/or ESPN+ Thursday 5:19 PM
- Mo’Nique suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination Thursday 5:09 PM
- Students outraged that professors accused of sexual misconduct are still teaching Thursday 5:00 PM
- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters Thursday 3:59 PM
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Thursday 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Thursday 2:57 PM
- How to sign up for Disney Plus Thursday 2:55 PM
Donald Glover is finally getting a crack at playing Spider-Man
Better late than never.
Donald Glover is finally getting to play Spider-Man—in an animated TV series, at least.
When Sony was auditioning actors to play Peter Parker in the Amazing Spider-Man franchise, Glover inspired a fan campaign demanding that he be allowed to audition for the role. This campaign obviously wasn’t very successful, but the idea of Glover as Spider-Man lived on.
Once the comics introduced African American/Hispanic teenager Miles Morales as Peter Parker’s replacement, some people even began hoping that a Morales-centric movie might happen one day, with Glover in the lead role. Even years after the #Donald4Spiderman campaign was at its peak, fans were excited to find out that Glover is voicing Miles Morales in the cartoon Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors on Disney XD.
Great news about Donald Glover. I bloody love Miles Morales, he’s an awesome character & a great Spider-Man. Looking forward to seeing that!
— Andy W. Clift (@andyWclift) August 26, 2014
— Ian Pugsley (@IPugsley) August 26, 2014
DONALD GLOVER IS SPIDERMAN?? WHAT??/ I ACTUALYL LIKE SPIDERMAN NOW THAT’S ALL IT TAKES INSTANTLY WOW
— Robin|롭인 @ mcn (@Robi_nn) August 26, 2014
Lol might only watch the Spider-Man animated series for Donald Glover as Miles.
— Jideobi.0 (@NewGenXMan) August 26, 2014
It’s official #Donald4SpiderMan
— JG_DIEHARD (@JosephGordonDie) August 26, 2014
In the new cartoon, Peter Parker visits an alternate universe where Miles Morales is Spider-Man, and at first, Peter assumes Miles is just another version of himself.
“That’s the great part about the Spider-Man costume: He can be anybody,” Glover told USA Today. “Spider-Man could be a girl. Spider-Man could be an old man. You don’t know. So I just tried to be as me as possible, because you’re always just going to bring it back to yourself when you watch the show.”
At 30, Glover is sadly too old to play to play a teen Miles Morales onscreen, but as a voice actor he was clearly the ideal choice for the role.
Photo via USAToday/Disney
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor