- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Today 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
When the Avatar theme park at Disney’s Animal Kingdom opens next month, you can expect rides across Pandora, floating mountains, and plenty of face painting for the kids.
And you can expect animatronics so lifelike that it’ll probably scare the daylights of you.
Need an example? How about this robot on the Na’vi River Journey ride.
That actually looks pretty damn real, huh?
As Inside the Magic writes:
…It is mesmerizing as your brain tries to discern whether this is the bit of robotic genius that you know it is or if this is actually fantasy come to life with actual DNA.
In the previous portions of the ride, you are anxious to move forward. You know there is more to see, and you can hardly wait to take it in. This mood shifts when you reach the Shaman. Suddenly, you don’t want to go any further. You want to linger. You wish the boat could be anchored so that you could sit in the presence of this amazing creature right in front of you.
This is the magic of the Na’vi River Journey—a journey of spectacular beauty and pure serenity.
Just for fun, compare that to this 2000 version of Disney’s Hall of Presidents. It’s basically not even the same thing, huh?
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.