The highly anticipated main cast of villains and anti-heroes is officially as follows:
- Jared Leto will play everyone’s favorite arch-villain, the Joker.
- Will Smith will play occasional anti-hero and core Squad member Deadshot.
- Tom Hardy will play sometimes Squad leader Rick Flagg.
- Margot Robbie (The Wolf of Wall Street) will play iconic sultry villainess Harley Quinn.
- Jai Courtney (Spartacus, Divergent) will play the Squad’s perennial weak link Boomerang.
- Cara Delevingne (Anna Karenina) will play a deadly magician known as the Enchantress.
Additionally, two roles are still on the “rumored” list:
- Jesse Eisenberg, long rumored to be playing the role, is still officially “in talks” to play Lex Luthor.
- The role of Dr. Amanda Waller, who single-handedly revitalizes a flagging team in the comics, is up for grabs, but Variety reports Oprah Winfrey is a strong contender for the role, along with Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer.
So far little is known about the plot of the film, which DC has described as an Oceans 11-type tongue-in-cheek comedy. Told from the vantage point of a group of villains and anti-heroes who form a ramshackle team, the production promises to rival Marvel’s Sinister Six. Both films are due out in fall of 2016.
Shooting for the film starts in April, with screenwriter David Ayers (Fury) set to write and direct. Though it’s nice to have the long-swirling rumors about the cast confirmed, it’s even nicer to know that DC is packing its anti-hero showcase with such a solid cast of A-listers. Sure, there will be plenty of Bane jokes, and the dizzying prospect of Oprah Winfrey as an arch-villain is almost too good to be true, but mostly we’re just excited for the chance to see the Joker and Harley Quinn finally together onscreen.
After all, if there’s one thing DC Comics know well, it’s that we love a good villain. And with this casting in place? We’ll have plenty of reason to root for the bad guys.
Illustration via Demotivaciones.es