- Seed University might actually be the first good influencer school Tuesday 9:35 PM
- Black couple says they were accused of stealing during marriage proposal Tuesday 6:57 PM
- How to live stream Robert Mueller’s testimony Tuesday 6:00 PM
- ‘MAGA Bomber’ believed that antifa was trying to murder Papa John’s employees Tuesday 5:23 PM
- Forever 21 under fire for sending Atkins diet bars with online orders Tuesday 4:56 PM
- Apple denies boosting its own apps in App Store Tuesday 4:25 PM
- The new Overwatch hero is a naked foot enthusiast, apparently Tuesday 4:19 PM
- Bella Thorne comes out as pansexual Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Macy’s pulls portion-control plates after social media uproar Tuesday 2:59 PM
- John Oliver confirms the internet’s suspicions about that ‘Lion King’ cast photo Tuesday 2:14 PM
- Report: Fake Libra accounts rampant on Facebook, Instagram Tuesday 2:10 PM
- Tennessee neighbors form human chain to help father and son escape ICE Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Google settled two multi-million dollar lawsuits this week Tuesday 1:26 PM
- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle Tuesday 12:41 PM
OMG, the Doctor just joined the Marvel Cinematic Universe!
David Tennant just landed a role in Marvel’s Netflix series A.K.A. Jessica Jones. This is not a drill. The Doctor is about to enter the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Tennant will play the show’s main antagonist, Kilgrave, opposite Krysten Ritter as the superheroine Jessica Jones. Here’s what Marvel had to say about the character:
“An enigmatic figure from Jessica’s past, Kilgrave’s reappearance will send shockwaves through the former super hero’s world.”
Kilgrave’s origin story is pretty typical of the genre. After coming into contact with some “chemicals” (oh, those good old comic book chemicals), he developed the ability to control people’s thoughts and actions using a combination of pheromones and verbal manipulation. He’s also known as Purple Man, for the literal reason that the chemical spill also turned his hair and skin purple. If the Netflix series stays true to the comics, Tennant will join the growing roster of Marvel actors who have to be sprayed down with body paint before going to work each morning. Perhaps he can get some tips from fellow Doctor Who star Karen Gillan, who shaved her head and was painted blue to play Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy.
A.K.A. Jessica Jones is the second in a sequence of five Marvel Cinematic Universe Netflix series, the first being Daredevil in April this year. Jessica Jones doesn’t have an official air date yet, but it’s likely to be released in late 2015 or early 2016. So, you still have a few months to get used to the idea of David Tennant playing a supervillain.
Photo via rach/Wikimedia (CC 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor