- Viral video shows an egg getting a hot makeover Tuesday 7:56 PM
- New Netflix feature broadcasts what you’re watching via Instagram Tuesday 6:11 PM
- Videos show alleged Covington teens harassing women, making rape jokes at march Tuesday 4:13 PM
- MAGA teen gets ‘Today Show’ interview—and people are pissed Tuesday 3:38 PM
- Family says hacker sent fake North Korean missile warning through Nest camera Tuesday 2:42 PM
- This Arizona bill would tax internet porn to fund a border wall Tuesday 2:41 PM
- This meme is asking people how they draw the letter X Tuesday 1:18 PM
- Charlie Kirk’s love of U.S. healthcare system put to the test after back problems Tuesday 1:12 PM
- Fyre Fest caterer who was left broke has received $160,000 in donations Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The YouTuber who taught a dog to give the Nazi salute on command can’t find a job Tuesday 12:24 PM
- The ‘oh yeah yeah’ meme is flooding YouTube—and KSI can’t deal Tuesday 12:20 PM
- Did this d*ck-drawing Instagram star steal her gag from a rival runner? Tuesday 12:00 PM
- Rep. Steve King, best known for his racism, tweets a fake MLK quote Tuesday 11:54 AM
- Facebook is helping husbands ‘brainwash’ their wives with targeted ads Tuesday 11:35 AM
- Twitch streamer Pink_Sparkles responds to gamers who don’t think she belongs Tuesday 11:29 AM
Mulder and Scully are flirting on Twitter and driving ‘X-Files’ fans insane
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson heated up the Internet this week and turned us all into conspiracy theorists.
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson know a thing or two about conspiracy theories, and they turned us all from casual “wouldn’t it be nice” X-Files shippers into raving “omg they’re totally together and trying to hide it from the world” tinhats Tuesday night after they got hot and heavy—on Twitter, no less.
The not-actually-a-couple-or-are-they? made the entire X-Files fandom sit up and take notice after this eyebrow-raising public exchange:
— David Duchovny (@davidduchovny) April 22, 2014
@davidduchovny So babe, you’ve got the chauffeur for the next 48?
— Gillian Anderson (@GillianA) April 22, 2014
— David Duchovny (@davidduchovny) April 23, 2014
@davidduchovny There’s only one place I need you to be and no ramp required.
— Gillian Anderson (@GillianA) April 23, 2014
In our best Keanu voice, woah.
While Mulder and Scully have steadfastly denied that they’re in a relationship, the gossip has been flying for years that they’re secretly involved. In 2012, after Anderson’s divorce, Celebrity Dirty Laundry insisted the couple was secretly living together. Last year, the X Files‘ 20th anniversary media blitz saw the two of them turning heads with a series of racy magazine covers. Oh, and then there was this little Reddit AMA photo, apparently taken on a shared hotel bed:
Photo via Facebook
Then there was last year’s NY Comic Con appearance, which created a massive buzz among X-Files fans and Gillian/David shippers after the duo reportedly held hands all weekend. Oh, and this happened:
Duchovny is only a recent arrival to Twitter, and true to form he’s been unabashed about his er, fondness for Anderson since the beginning:
Hi @GillianA why did you keep twitter a secret from me all these years ? I’m here and I heart scully 😉 What’s up?
— David Duchovny (@davidduchovny) April 15, 2014
Seriously, if they don’t want us to ship them together, they’re doing a terrible job of showing it.
When Bree Sharp asked the world’s most important question (David Duchovny, why won’t you love me?), the answer was clearly: Because Gillian Anderson was there first.
Photo via Wikimedia Commons; CC-BY-SA-3.0
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.