- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Monday 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Monday 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Monday 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Monday 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Monday 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Monday 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Monday 10:11 AM
Mulder and Scully are flirting on Twitter and driving ‘X-Files’ fans insane
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson heated up the Internet this week and turned us all into conspiracy theorists.
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson know a thing or two about conspiracy theories, and they turned us all from casual “wouldn’t it be nice” X-Files shippers into raving “omg they’re totally together and trying to hide it from the world” tinhats Tuesday night after they got hot and heavy—on Twitter, no less.
The not-actually-a-couple-or-are-they? made the entire X-Files fandom sit up and take notice after this eyebrow-raising public exchange:
— David Duchovny (@davidduchovny) April 22, 2014
@davidduchovny So babe, you’ve got the chauffeur for the next 48?
— Gillian Anderson (@GillianA) April 22, 2014
— David Duchovny (@davidduchovny) April 23, 2014
@davidduchovny There’s only one place I need you to be and no ramp required.
— Gillian Anderson (@GillianA) April 23, 2014
In our best Keanu voice, woah.
While Mulder and Scully have steadfastly denied that they’re in a relationship, the gossip has been flying for years that they’re secretly involved. In 2012, after Anderson’s divorce, Celebrity Dirty Laundry insisted the couple was secretly living together. Last year, the X Files‘ 20th anniversary media blitz saw the two of them turning heads with a series of racy magazine covers. Oh, and then there was this little Reddit AMA photo, apparently taken on a shared hotel bed:
Photo via Facebook
Then there was last year’s NY Comic Con appearance, which created a massive buzz among X-Files fans and Gillian/David shippers after the duo reportedly held hands all weekend. Oh, and this happened:
Duchovny is only a recent arrival to Twitter, and true to form he’s been unabashed about his er, fondness for Anderson since the beginning:
Hi @GillianA why did you keep twitter a secret from me all these years ? I’m here and I heart scully 😉 What’s up?
— David Duchovny (@davidduchovny) April 15, 2014
Seriously, if they don’t want us to ship them together, they’re doing a terrible job of showing it.
When Bree Sharp asked the world’s most important question (David Duchovny, why won’t you love me?), the answer was clearly: Because Gillian Anderson was there first.
Photo via Wikimedia Commons; CC-BY-SA-3.0
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.