- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free 2 Years Ago
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
What you need to know ‘Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ on Netflix
Is Fizzgig gonna be in it?
Jim Henson and Frank Oz’s The Dark Crystal was a groundbreaking achievement when it was released in 1982. In the time since the film’s release, it has since spawned spinoff books, board games, graphic novels, and other tie-ins. The only thing it hasn’t done is film an expansion of the story—until now.
Netflix is finally bringing The Dark Crystal back with a prequel series. Titled The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, this 10-episode fantasy adventure series will take fans back to the world of muppet-y monsters. Let’s take a look at what we know so far about this hugely anticipated project.
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance plot
Details on the plot for the upcoming project are sparse, though we know it’s a prequel taking place many years before the events of the film. Here’s how Netflix described it in a press release announcing the project:
“The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all-new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.”
In the original film, the Gelfling are a race of elf-like creatures native to the world Thra, while the Skeksis—large vulture-like creatures—are their antagonists. No word yet on whether the adorable dog-like creature Fizzgig (or one of his kind) will show up, but we’ve got our fingers crossed.
Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance news
Netflix announced the Dark Crystal series on May 18, 2017, naming Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me) as the series’ executive producer and director.
Leterrier gave a reassuringly heartfelt statement about the project.
“As a filmmaker, one of my earliest influences was Jim Henson’s masterpiece ‘The Dark Crystal,’ a movie that brought to life a universe rich in detail and teeming with incredible characters. The creativity in the film was limitless and groundbreaking for that time, restricted only by the special effects tools of its day. As I envision ‘Age of Resistance,’ I am most excited about joining today’s film techniques with the practical visual effects that are such an integral part of The Dark Crystal – the artistry, the craftsmanship, the performances, and of course the puppets! It is a gift and an honor to work alongside the teams at The Jim Henson Company and Netflix, the artists at Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, and the Frouds, as we begin this new adventure, diving deeper into the world of Thra and working hard to bring fans all they have hoped for.”
Fans of the classic movie will also be relieved to see Rita Peruggi, a longtime Henson collaborator, is attached to the project as a producer alongside The Jim Henson Company’s Blanca Lista. Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (Life in a Year) will lead the writing team with Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost, The 100).
While a teaser released by Netflix leans into the real effects and puppetry that made the 1982 film so magical, the series will feature a mix of practical effects and CGI. Age of Resistance starts filming in the United Kingdom this fall.
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance trailer
Netflix got the hype train rolling early with a teaser featuring the late, great Jim Henson and early production footage for the new show.
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance release date
Age of Resistance premiered in 2018.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Dan Marcus is a geek culture reporter based in Los Angeles. His work has appeared in First Showing and Trek Movie.