- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge 2 Years Ago
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Today 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Today 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Today 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Today 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Today 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Today 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Today 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Today 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Today 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Today 10:35 AM
- These are the only online dating sites worth your time Today 10:29 AM
- Jameela Jamil sparks conversation about women having to make the ‘boyfriend excuse’ Today 10:23 AM
- Trump-Russia conspiracy theorists think they’ve found secrets in the Mueller report Today 9:32 AM
- Report: YouTube is done competing with Netflix, Amazon Today 9:27 AM
What you need to know ‘Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ on Netflix
Is Fizzgig gonna be in it?
Jim Henson and Frank Oz’s The Dark Crystal was a groundbreaking achievement when it was released in 1982. In the time since the film’s release, it has since spawned spinoff books, board games, graphic novels, and other tie-ins. The only thing it hasn’t done is film an expansion of the story—until now.
Netflix is finally bringing The Dark Crystal back with a prequel series. Titled The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, this 10-episode fantasy adventure series will take fans back to the world of muppet-y monsters. Let’s take a look at what we know so far about this hugely anticipated project.
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance plot
Details on the plot for the upcoming project are sparse, though we know it’s a prequel taking place many years before the events of the film. Here’s how Netflix described it in a press release announcing the project:
“The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all-new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.”
In the original film, the Gelfling are a race of elf-like creatures native to the world Thra, while the Skeksis—large vulture-like creatures—are their antagonists. No word yet on whether the adorable dog-like creature Fizzgig (or one of his kind) will show up, but we’ve got our fingers crossed.
Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance news
Netflix announced the Dark Crystal series on May 18, 2017, naming Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me) as the series’ executive producer and director.
Leterrier gave a reassuringly heartfelt statement about the project.
“As a filmmaker, one of my earliest influences was Jim Henson’s masterpiece ‘The Dark Crystal,’ a movie that brought to life a universe rich in detail and teeming with incredible characters. The creativity in the film was limitless and groundbreaking for that time, restricted only by the special effects tools of its day. As I envision ‘Age of Resistance,’ I am most excited about joining today’s film techniques with the practical visual effects that are such an integral part of The Dark Crystal – the artistry, the craftsmanship, the performances, and of course the puppets! It is a gift and an honor to work alongside the teams at The Jim Henson Company and Netflix, the artists at Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, and the Frouds, as we begin this new adventure, diving deeper into the world of Thra and working hard to bring fans all they have hoped for.”
Fans of the classic movie will also be relieved to see Rita Peruggi, a longtime Henson collaborator, is attached to the project as a producer alongside The Jim Henson Company’s Blanca Lista. Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (Life in a Year) will lead the writing team with Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost, The 100).
While a teaser released by Netflix leans into the real effects and puppetry that made the 1982 film so magical, the series will feature a mix of practical effects and CGI. Age of Resistance starts filming in the United Kingdom this fall.
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance trailer
Netflix got the hype train rolling early with a teaser featuring the late, great Jim Henson and early production footage for the new show.
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance release date
Age of Resistance premiered in 2018.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Dan Marcus is a geek culture reporter based in Los Angeles. His work has appeared in First Showing and Trek Movie.