- People are not falling for these ICE ‘propaganda’ photos Today 4:23 PM
- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Today 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Today 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Today 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Today 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
Ridley wrote that the video invitation ‘made my day!’
Kevin Carlock, a student at Davidson College in Davidson, North Carolina, went all-out with a music video inviting Ridley to his school’s Spring Athlete’s Formal on April 13.
At one point in the video, Carlock raps, “Like the Force and that lightsaber, I am calling to you. I think that you would enjoy Davidson much more than Jakku.”
Unfortunately for Carlock, Ridley is a bit busy filming the feverishly anticipated Star Wars Episode VIII at the moment. But on Tuesday, a few weeks after Carlock posted his video, she replied on Instagram.
“Unfortunately,” she wrote in a handwritten note, “I’m locked in an intense staring competition with Luke Skywalker, somewhere in the middle of the galaxy, so won’t be able to make it!”
Ridley captioned the photo by saying that Carlock’s video “made my day!”
Given the social-media savvy of the current generation of Star Wars actors—Ridley’s co-star John Boyega is active on Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram—it’s not surprising that Carlock’s message eventually reached its intended audience. Nor, given the state of the galaxy at the end of The Force Awakens, is it surprising that Ridley had to attend to more pressing matters.
Photo via daisyridley/Instagram
Eric Geller is a politics reporter who focuses on cybersecurity, surveillance, encryption, and privacy. A former staff writer at the Daily Dot, Geller joined Politico in June 2016, where he's focused on policymaking at the White House, the Justice Department, the State Department, and the Commerce Department.