- Laura Ingraham mocks Rep. Ilhan Omar’s accent in audio clip Sunday 5:46 PM
- #ExposeChristianSchools goes viral after Karen Pence and Covington Catholic School uproars Sunday 4:37 PM
- People have started laundering money on Fortnite Sunday 3:03 PM
- Cardi B claps back at Tomi Lahren’s sarcastic tweet Sunday 1:25 PM
- Twitter may have exposed Android users’ private tweets Sunday 12:13 PM
- Leave Me Alurn is the ‘SNL’ product we wish existed in real life Sunday 10:06 AM
- How to watch ‘Charmed’ online for free Sunday 9:00 AM
- How to watch Patriots vs. Chiefs online for free Sunday 8:15 AM
- This is the ‘Star Wars’ VR experience you’re looking for Sunday 8:00 AM
- ‘Salt Fat Acid Heat’ takes viewers on a journey through the four building blocks of a great dish Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to tell the deep web from the dark web Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the Saints vs. Rams online for free Sunday 6:15 AM
- How to watch ‘Supergirl’ online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the NFL conference championship games Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Leganes online for free Sunday 1:00 AM
Ridley wrote that the video invitation ‘made my day!’
Kevin Carlock, a student at Davidson College in Davidson, North Carolina, went all-out with a music video inviting Ridley to his school’s Spring Athlete’s Formal on April 13.
At one point in the video, Carlock raps, “Like the Force and that lightsaber, I am calling to you. I think that you would enjoy Davidson much more than Jakku.”
Unfortunately for Carlock, Ridley is a bit busy filming the feverishly anticipated Star Wars Episode VIII at the moment. But on Tuesday, a few weeks after Carlock posted his video, she replied on Instagram.
“Unfortunately,” she wrote in a handwritten note, “I’m locked in an intense staring competition with Luke Skywalker, somewhere in the middle of the galaxy, so won’t be able to make it!”
Ridley captioned the photo by saying that Carlock’s video “made my day!”
Given the social-media savvy of the current generation of Star Wars actors—Ridley’s co-star John Boyega is active on Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram—it’s not surprising that Carlock’s message eventually reached its intended audience. Nor, given the state of the galaxy at the end of The Force Awakens, is it surprising that Ridley had to attend to more pressing matters.
Photo via daisyridley/Instagram
Eric Geller is a politics reporter who focuses on cybersecurity, surveillance, encryption, and privacy. A former staff writer at the Daily Dot, Geller joined Politico in June 2016, where he's focused on policymaking at the White House, the Justice Department, the State Department, and the Commerce Department.