- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
Ridley wrote that the video invitation ‘made my day!’
Kevin Carlock, a student at Davidson College in Davidson, North Carolina, went all-out with a music video inviting Ridley to his school’s Spring Athlete’s Formal on April 13.
At one point in the video, Carlock raps, “Like the Force and that lightsaber, I am calling to you. I think that you would enjoy Davidson much more than Jakku.”
Unfortunately for Carlock, Ridley is a bit busy filming the feverishly anticipated Star Wars Episode VIII at the moment. But on Tuesday, a few weeks after Carlock posted his video, she replied on Instagram.
“Unfortunately,” she wrote in a handwritten note, “I’m locked in an intense staring competition with Luke Skywalker, somewhere in the middle of the galaxy, so won’t be able to make it!”
Ridley captioned the photo by saying that Carlock’s video “made my day!”
Given the social-media savvy of the current generation of Star Wars actors—Ridley’s co-star John Boyega is active on Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram—it’s not surprising that Carlock’s message eventually reached its intended audience. Nor, given the state of the galaxy at the end of The Force Awakens, is it surprising that Ridley had to attend to more pressing matters.
Photo via daisyridley/Instagram
Eric Geller is a politics reporter who focuses on cybersecurity, surveillance, encryption, and privacy. A former staff writer at the Daily Dot, Geller joined Politico in June 2016, where he's focused on policymaking at the White House, the Justice Department, the State Department, and the Commerce Department.