- A$AP Rocky just isn’t texting Trump back 5 Years Ago
- Hong Kong protesters knock down alleged ‘facial recognition tower’ 5 Years Ago
- PewDiePie becomes the first YouTuber to hit 100 million subscribers Today 11:35 AM
- ‘Breaking Bad’ movie will show us what happened to Jesse Pinkman Today 9:39 AM
- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Today 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
Get ready for Civilization: Beyond Earth with this new teaser video
The release date is just weeks away.
Keeping a strategy franchise going for more than two decades occasionally means trying something new. Or, in the case of Civilization: Beyond Earth, trying something new for a second time.
Beyond Earth takes the Civilization formula and shifts it to outer space. It’s a play on one of the traditional ways to win Civ, by being the first civilization to build and launch a spaceship to colonize the planet Alpha Centauri.
When we previewed Beyond Earth at PAX Prime in August, we recognized all the fundamental elements of Civ gameplay, like controlling the development of individual cities, establishing diplomatic relations with other powers, and building and deploying military units. Beyond takes these elements, along with the game engine that ran Civilization V, and adds the sort of open-ended customization and technologies one might expect from a society beginning anew on another world.
This new video from developer Firaxis gives you a broad view of how the newest game in the Civilization series works:
Civilization: Beyond Earth will be released for the PC on Oct. 24.
Image courtesy of 2K Games
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.