- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
Get ready for Civilization: Beyond Earth with this intro video
The next chapter in the Civilization series is just days away.
Developer Firaxis has released the cinematic introduction to its upcoming strategy game Civilization: Beyond Earth, to set the stage for colonization of a new world.
One way to win a game of Civilization is to be the first civilization to build a spacecraft to colonize Alpha Centauri. Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, released in 1999, took that victory scenario and spun it into an entirely separate game that married the basic Civilization formula to a science-fiction theme.
Civilization: Beyond Earth is a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri. Beyond Earth similarly marries the Civ design to science fiction themes, but it takes place in a very different universe, narratively speaking. The intro cinematic sets up the story behind Beyond Earth and helps differentiate the two games.
Civilization: Beyond Earth will be released on Oct. 24 for PC.
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.