- John Oliver confirms the internet’s suspicions about that ‘Lion King’ cast photo 3 Years Ago
- Report: Fake Libra accounts rampant on Facebook, Instagram 3 Years Ago
- Tennessee neighbors form human chain to help father and son escape ICE 3 Years Ago
- Google settled two multi-million dollar lawsuits this week Today 1:26 PM
- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid Today 12:47 PM
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle Today 12:41 PM
- It’s too late to book a room for the Area 51 raid Today 12:28 PM
- Adam Sandler’s next Netflix film is a star-studded Halloween comedy Today 12:17 PM
- How to live stream Arsenal vs. Real Madrid Today 12:06 PM
- Netflix’s ‘7SEEDS’ is an abominable adaptation of the original manga Today 11:59 AM
- Alinity Divine hasn’t been punished for throwing her cat—and people are livid Today 10:16 AM
- Gamer Krucial B passes away during Defend the North tournament Today 9:25 AM
- Brexit supporter Boris Johnson becomes prime minister—spawning lots of memes Today 9:16 AM
- Democrats want to ban use of facial recognition in public housing Today 8:29 AM
- In America’s meme war, the left and right are fighting different battles Today 8:10 AM
Carrie Fisher brought the ultimate nerdy dates to the White House Correspondents’ Dinner
Best date night ever.
Never before has the nickname “Nerd Prom” been more appropriate for the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.
Each year, hundreds of journalists and politicians are joined by a handful of seemingly random celebrities to watch the president give a (hopefully) funny speech and get roasted in return. This year, the three most interesting guests were undoubtedly Tom Hiddleston, Carrie Fisher, and her dog Gary.
Gary is a constant presence at Carrie Fisher’s side, and even has his own social media following on Twitter and Instagram. He’s also a professional therapy dog, which is how he’s wound up being allowed everywhere, from movie premieres to the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.
Saturday night proved that Carrie Fisher has invented the ultimate formula for red carpet success: Show up with Tom Hiddleston on one arm and an adorable French bulldog on the other. As ever, a true role model to us all.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor