- What is “TikTok including Musical.ly”? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
“No one’s ever really gone…” the Star Wars veteran captioned the post, quoting a line of dialogue that his own character, Luke Skywalker, tells Fisher’s Leia Organa in The Last Jedi. The tweet included two photos of Hamill and Fisher together—one from their youth and one from the filming of The Last Jedi—along with a majestically irreverent illustration of Fisher dressed in royal attire, flashing the middle finger with one hand and holding her dog, Gary Fisher, in the other.
The dichotomy of the illustration aptly described Fisher’s own attitude toward life. The actress rocketed to fame as the cunning, feisty Princess Leia in 1977’s original Star Wars, but spoke candidly about her own struggles with bipolar disorder and drug addiction throughout her life. She became a noted mental health advocate and feminist role model, with a wicked sense of humor undercutting her own triumphs and tribulations.
Other fans quickly followed Hamill’s lead, posting photos, gifs, and fan art of Fisher using the hashtags #AlwaysWithUs and #CarrieOnForever. Some quoted a passage from the star’s 2008 memoir, Wishful Drinking, in which she makes a request for her own obituary: “I want it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled by my own bra.”
See some of the most touching Carrie Fisher tributes below.
I got to meet Carrie Fisher at a signing once. I was suited up as Boba Fett and got to escort her to the table. As I did so she leaned back and told me" I'm not saying that I'm drunk. But it's your job to catch me if I start to fall down today." #StarWars #CarrieOnForever pic.twitter.com/QHbu9iosPH— Chris Gutierrez (@bullyart07) December 27, 2017
Leia was always a role model for me, but Carrie Fisher became one to me after her passing when I decided to get over my distaste for books and read some of hers. It wasn't until then that I realized we were kindred spirits. She should have been my therapist. #CarrieOnForever— Melanie. (@Mittens_OP) December 27, 2017
@carrieffisher as Leia had been my first woman role model. Showed me how not only should we be brave and fight for ourselves and what we believe in but you should never let anyone take away what makes you... you. #CarrieOnForever pic.twitter.com/dklX768J7z— Jazmine Starr (@JazmineVSworld) December 27, 2017
Bryan Rolli is a reporter who specializes in streaming entertainment. He writes about music and film for Forbes, Billboard, and the Austin American-Statesman. He met Flavor Flav in two separate Las Vegas bowling alleys and still can’t stop talking about it.