- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
Nothing measures up to the real experience of attending the con, but there’s one element that always finds its way online: awesome cosplay photos. Celebration was full of brilliant cosplayers, and we’ve tracked down some of the most original examples this year.
Star Wars Muppets
The Organa family
Star Wars is a gift to family cosplayers, because the franchise is full of literal families and kid-sized characters like Ewoks and Jawas. (And baby BB-8s, an adorable new addition to the genre.) This family decided to cosplay as Bail and Breha Organa, with their adoptive baby Princess Leia. A recognizable choice that still doesn’t have much competition on the cosplay circuit. And they look great!
i would die for this family of icons pic.twitter.com/q9VE9N9RrN— sheiła (@uhsoka) April 16, 2017
The Rogue One reenactors
With tons of stormtroopers, Jedi, and Rebel Alliance soldiers on site, Star Wars Celebration often inspires some mini-reenactments from cosplayers. This year’s star turn came from a Darth Vader, a Princess Leia, and a team of Rebels, who reenacted the already-iconic ending scene from Rogue One.
The human lightsaber
This year was Hayden Christensen’s first appearance at a Star Wars convention since 2002, marking the end of a long absence. So, it was pretty awesome to see him doing dorky stuff like signing a jar of sand and posing for photos with a human-sized lightsaber.
the lightsaber met hayden I'm pic.twitter.com/Ar0Kjmrbka— carla (@rosehadleyjones) April 15, 2017
Honorary mention: Kelly Marie Tran
This isn’t technically a cosplay outfit, but it’s one of our favorite fashion choices of the con. The Last Jedi actress Kelly Marie Tran (who plays the new lead character Rose) wore a “What Would John Boyega Do” sweatshirt onstage, proving that she’s a fangirl just like the rest of us.
We foresee a lot of Star Wars fans following suit by making WWJBD shirts of their own. A motto to live by.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor