- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
Nothing measures up to the real experience of attending the con, but there’s one element that always finds its way online: awesome cosplay photos. Celebration was full of brilliant cosplayers, and we’ve tracked down some of the most original examples this year.
Star Wars Muppets
The Organa family
Star Wars is a gift to family cosplayers, because the franchise is full of literal families and kid-sized characters like Ewoks and Jawas. (And baby BB-8s, an adorable new addition to the genre.) This family decided to cosplay as Bail and Breha Organa, with their adoptive baby Princess Leia. A recognizable choice that still doesn’t have much competition on the cosplay circuit. And they look great!
i would die for this family of icons pic.twitter.com/q9VE9N9RrN— sheiła (@uhsoka) April 16, 2017
The Rogue One reenactors
With tons of stormtroopers, Jedi, and Rebel Alliance soldiers on site, Star Wars Celebration often inspires some mini-reenactments from cosplayers. This year’s star turn came from a Darth Vader, a Princess Leia, and a team of Rebels, who reenacted the already-iconic ending scene from Rogue One.
The human lightsaber
This year was Hayden Christensen’s first appearance at a Star Wars convention since 2002, marking the end of a long absence. So, it was pretty awesome to see him doing dorky stuff like signing a jar of sand and posing for photos with a human-sized lightsaber.
the lightsaber met hayden I'm pic.twitter.com/Ar0Kjmrbka— carla (@rosehadleyjones) April 15, 2017
Honorary mention: Kelly Marie Tran
This isn’t technically a cosplay outfit, but it’s one of our favorite fashion choices of the con. The Last Jedi actress Kelly Marie Tran (who plays the new lead character Rose) wore a “What Would John Boyega Do” sweatshirt onstage, proving that she’s a fangirl just like the rest of us.
We foresee a lot of Star Wars fans following suit by making WWJBD shirts of their own. A motto to live by.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor