- New Netflix feature broadcasts what you’re watching via Instagram Tuesday 6:11 PM
- Videos show alleged Covington teens harassing women, making rape jokes at march Tuesday 4:13 PM
- MAGA teen gets ‘Today Show’ interview—and people are pissed Tuesday 3:38 PM
- Family says hacker sent fake North Korean missile warning through Nest camera Tuesday 2:42 PM
- This Arizona bill would tax internet porn to fund a border wall Tuesday 2:41 PM
- This meme is asking people how they draw the letter X Tuesday 1:18 PM
- Charlie Kirk’s love of U.S. healthcare system put to the test after back problems Tuesday 1:12 PM
- Fyre Fest caterer who was left broke has received $160,000 in donations Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The YouTuber who taught a dog to give the Nazi salute on command can’t find a job Tuesday 12:24 PM
- The ‘oh yeah yeah’ meme is flooding YouTube—and KSI can’t deal Tuesday 12:20 PM
- Did this d*ck-drawing Instagram star steal her gag from a rival runner? Tuesday 12:00 PM
- Rep. Steve King, best known for his racism, tweets a fake MLK quote Tuesday 11:54 AM
- Facebook is helping husbands ‘brainwash’ their wives with targeted ads Tuesday 11:35 AM
- Twitch streamer Pink_Sparkles responds to gamers who don’t think she belongs Tuesday 11:29 AM
- ‘Black Panther’ nabs 7 Oscar nominations, including best picture Tuesday 10:49 AM
Muppet Star Wars, Hayden Christensen posing with a human lightsaber, and more!
Nothing measures up to the real experience of attending the con, but there’s one element that always finds its way online: awesome cosplay photos. Celebration was full of brilliant cosplayers, and we’ve tracked down some of the most original examples this year.
Star Wars Muppets
— Disney Lucasfilm (@DisneyLucasfilm) April 13, 2017
The Organa family
Star Wars is a gift to family cosplayers, because the franchise is full of literal families and kid-sized characters like Ewoks and Jawas. (And baby BB-8s, an adorable new addition to the genre.) This family decided to cosplay as Bail and Breha Organa, with their adoptive baby Princess Leia. A recognizable choice that still doesn’t have much competition on the cosplay circuit. And they look great!
i would die for this family of icons pic.twitter.com/q9VE9N9RrN
— sheiła (@uhsoka) April 16, 2017
The Rogue One reenactors
With tons of stormtroopers, Jedi, and Rebel Alliance soldiers on site, Star Wars Celebration often inspires some mini-reenactments from cosplayers. This year’s star turn came from a Darth Vader, a Princess Leia, and a team of Rebels, who reenacted the already-iconic ending scene from Rogue One.
— Star Wars UK (@StarWarsUK) April 15, 2017
The human lightsaber
This year was Hayden Christensen’s first appearance at a Star Wars convention since 2002, marking the end of a long absence. So, it was pretty awesome to see him doing dorky stuff like signing a jar of sand and posing for photos with a human-sized lightsaber.
the lightsaber met hayden I'm pic.twitter.com/Ar0Kjmrbka
— carla (@rosehadleyjones) April 15, 2017
Honorary mention: Kelly Marie Tran
This isn’t technically a cosplay outfit, but it’s one of our favorite fashion choices of the con. The Last Jedi actress Kelly Marie Tran (who plays the new lead character Rose) wore a “What Would John Boyega Do” sweatshirt onstage, proving that she’s a fangirl just like the rest of us.
We foresee a lot of Star Wars fans following suit by making WWJBD shirts of their own. A motto to live by.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.