- Seed University might actually be the first good influencer school Tuesday 9:35 PM
- Black couple says they were accused of stealing during marriage proposal Tuesday 6:57 PM
- How to live stream Robert Mueller’s testimony Tuesday 6:00 PM
- ‘MAGA Bomber’ believed that antifa was trying to murder Papa John’s employees Tuesday 5:23 PM
- Forever 21 under fire for sending Atkins diet bars with online orders Tuesday 4:56 PM
- Apple denies boosting its own apps in App Store Tuesday 4:25 PM
- The new Overwatch hero is a naked foot enthusiast, apparently Tuesday 4:19 PM
- Bella Thorne comes out as pansexual Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Macy’s pulls portion-control plates after social media uproar Tuesday 2:59 PM
- John Oliver confirms the internet’s suspicions about that ‘Lion King’ cast photo Tuesday 2:14 PM
- Report: Fake Libra accounts rampant on Facebook, Instagram Tuesday 2:10 PM
- Tennessee neighbors form human chain to help father and son escape ICE Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Google settled two multi-million dollar lawsuits this week Tuesday 1:26 PM
- How to live stream Guadalajara vs. Atletico Madrid Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Forget Area 51—People are planning to storm the Bermuda Triangle Tuesday 12:41 PM
It’s finally official: Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange
Sherlock, Smaug, and now Strange. What’ll he do next?
“Stephen Strange’s story requires an actor capable of great depth and sincerity,” said Producer Kevin Feige. “In 2016, Benedict will show audiences what makes Doctor Strange such a unique and compelling character.”
Contract negotiations between Cumberbatch and Marvel reportedly began almost two months ago, despite earlier rumors that Johnny Depp, Tom Hardy, or Jared Leto might’ve snagged the role. While some fans were… well, fans of the arrangement, others were more vocally opposed, citing a certain amount of “Cumberbatch fatigue” which the Daily Dot’s Gavia Baker-Whitelaw expertly explained here.
CUMBERBATCH AS DR. STRANGE!!!! dreams do come true
— Dom Fera (@DominicFear) October 27, 2014
Of course, Cumberbatch is no stranger to enraged fans; a very long line of disappointed ladies formed after the actor’s engagement announcement last month.
Doctor Strange is slated for a Nov. 4, 2016, release. Also on the docket for 2016 is the ever-popular Deadpool, so there’s bound to be something for everyone.
Photo via bellaphon/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Monica Riese now serves as the Daily Dot’s director of production, having previously been the publication’s entertainment editor and assistant managing editor. She is based in Austin, Texas, and formerly contributed to the Austin Chronicle, where her breaking news work was recognized by the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies.