- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur 3 Years Ago
- Cop under investigation after implying Ocasio-Cortez should be shot 3 Years Ago
- The ‘Big Little Lies’ finale sucked—but at least we have Renata 3 Years Ago
- Wendy Davis announces she’s running for Congress 3 Years Ago
- Please stop being horny on main for #IceBae and other horrible people Today 10:02 AM
- Illinois Republicans share ‘jihad squad’ meme of 4 Dem congresswomen Today 9:05 AM
- How a deepfake gets made Today 8:25 AM
- How to watch ‘Veronica Mars’ season 4 online Today 8:21 AM
- The MCU’s Phase 4 is all about Marvel getting weird Today 7:07 AM
- How alt porn site SuicideGirls gets women to pose naked for free Today 7:00 AM
- Why did the GOP launch a website hyping socialist candidates? Today 6:30 AM
- The macrophilia and size-change fetish communities are made possible through the magic of the internet Today 6:00 AM
- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Be—oh wait. Nevermind.
Hollywood’s preoccupation with resurrecting all of our ’80s childhood favorites has many people hoping that Beetlejuice will come back to haunt us.
But it won’t happen anytime soon.
The Independent has confirmed that rumors of Beetlejuice 2 floating around the Internet this week aren’t true. “Tim did not provide a statement to confirm Beetlejuice 2 as the movie is not in development,” a spokesperson for Burton told the news site. “Tim’s focus is entirely on ‘Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children’ and developing ‘Dumbo.'”
Speculation about the sequel to the beloved 1988 horror comedy began this week when a website called Showbiz Spy said it had direct confirmation from Burton that “the film is a go.”
THEY’RE MAKING A NEW BEETLEJUICE!!!! IM SO FUCKING HAPPY THIS IS MY CHILDHOOD NOTHING CAN RUIN THIS DAY
— Maria (@Mariaaaa_urias) March 11, 2016
BEETLEJUICE 2 IS AN ACTUAL THING. AND WINONA IS GOING TO BE IN IT AGAIN. ALONG WITH MICHAEL KEATON OMG
— ]| (@jxnnyd) March 11, 2016
My heart stopped beating momentarily when Tim Burton confirmed a Beetlejuice 2
— Samwich (@RunsWithGingers) March 11, 2016
Sorry, Beetlejuice fans. Showbiz Spy’s statement appears to be just the latest false start for the long-rumored movie.
Reports also surfaced in December 2014 that the movie was in the works. Winona Ryder, who would presumably be reprising her role as Lydia Deetz, triggered another wave of excitement when she mentioned her involvement in the sequel on Late Night with Seth Myers in August 2015.
But in January, Michael Keaton—who’s been riding high after critically acclaimed roles in back-to-back Oscar winners Birdman and Spotlight—told the Independent that he had “no idea” about the status of Beetlejuice 2. Even so, he confessed that he’d enjoy revisiting his role as the irreverent ghost with the most.
Does that mean we might eventually get another Beetlejuice movie? Maybe. But making it happen won’t be as easy as shouting “Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!”
Screengrab via movieclips/YouTube
Sarah Weber is the former editor of Daily Dot’s Parsec section, where she wrote about geek culture. She previously worked as a reporter and editor at community newspapers in the Midwest and was recognized by the Ohio Associated Press for news reporting.