- ‘Bachelor’ contestant apologizes for ‘White Lives Matter’ photo shoot Today 12:13 AM
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Sunday 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Sunday 12:10 PM
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Sunday 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Sunday 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Sunday 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Sunday 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
Fans are rallying behind Titans star Anna Diop after she was harassed online for her upcoming role as Starfire, an orange alien, in the TV series.
The super absurd thing about something like this is, Superman is an alien from a distant planet who gains strength from the sun, and him being portrayed as white is normal. But Starfire, a fucking orange alien, being played by a black woman is cause to riot. https://t.co/iqyuZODVle— Zito (@_Zeets) July 24, 2018
“And though I am highly unbothered I do want to use this as an opportunity to say that tearing people down is not something that I tolerate,” she wrote on Instagram at the time.
The Root reports that the most recent pushback includes many colorist comments claiming Diop is the “wrong kind of Black woman” to play Starfire.
I also don't care for her skin color I just wish she was cast as a prettier person than Anna diop. Starfire is suppose to be beautiful even if she is a different color. Maybe Anna diop should of been meaghan in later season.— Comics,Soccer&HoodShit$$ (@BrisenoLeo) July 20, 2018
I blame the whole "whitewash equals prettier" comic and movie world for the ignorance displayed.— O-ren Ishii (@RokiSaurus) July 21, 2018
Years of systematic portraying black or POC as evil/ not good enough have led to this.#AnnaDiop, you are beautiful & stunning no matter what. Walk with your head held high. Always
This is not the first time a woman of color has been bullied off social media. Kelly Marie Tran, who played Rose Tico in Star Wars: The Last Jedi, deleted all of her Instagram posts after users left racist and sexist comments on her page.
Titans is expected to premiere sometime this year.
H/T Heroic Hollywood
Kristina Nguyen is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. She is studying journalism and American studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She has previously contributed to Orange magazine and Silk Club's QUIET! zine.