- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
- Jake Paul calls out KSI for a YouTube boxing match Friday 11:31 AM
- This elementary school made students play ‘runaway slave’ Friday 11:20 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is already a box office hit Friday 11:06 AM
- This ‘buff bunny vs. small bunny’ meme is here for when you’re feeling inferior Friday 10:53 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez slams trolls who come at her with ‘weak’ memes Friday 10:52 AM
Looking for cool ‘Alien’ merch? We’ve got you covered.
As we’ve mentioned before, “Alien Day” is a made-up holiday, designed with the express purpose of selling movie tickets and Alien franchise merchandise. On the other hand, we can’t help but get into the idea. Ripley’s space Reeboks are kind of badass, and everyone loves classic sci-fi double bills.
So with that in mind, we decided to take a look at the less official side of Alien fandom. Specifically, all the awesome art and accessories you can find on Etsy.
Xenomorphs are our obvious starting point here, because there’s no Alien without the alien. H.R. Giger’s slimy, threatening, vaguely phallic monster has been iconic for years, and still retains more of a cool factor than, say, Klingon memorabilia. (Sorry, Star Trek fans.)
There’s a ton of xenomorph jewellery out there (for instance, this cute alien embryo necklace), but we enjoyed the more unusual idea of this vial of xenomorph saliva. Chic, minimalist, and useful if you ever need to burn through a metal bulkhead.
And if you want to break the bank on a seriously badass Alien collector’s item, there’s this $5,500 guitar from Devil and Sons Guitars.
For some reason there’s a surprising amount of facehugger merchandise out there, including the obvious ski masks and replica props to wear over your face. You can also get adorable facehugger hairclips and lapel pins, if you want to go formal with your everyday cosplay.
Our favorite is this collection of glassware and kitchen utensils from Full Blown Glass. It’s such a cool combination of grotesque and pretty.
Posters and art
Etsy is second only to Tumblr if you’re looking for cool and interesting fanart, so there are plenty of Alien posters to choose from. Here are some of the best we found, in a variety of different styles.
For everyday cosplay clothes, your best bet is the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. Weyland-Yutani (or Weyland Industries in the prequel movie, Prometheus) is the multinational company that employs Ripley and her crewmates. Its slogan is “Building Better Worlds,” and it’s your classic dystopian corporation.
You can get Weyland-Yutani T-shirts, key rings, armbands, you name it. And finally, there’s always the USCSS Nostromo, the ship where it all started. Kit yourself out with a Nostromo patch on some overalls, and you’re basically ready for an Alien costume party.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.