- Trans/Sex: Let trans art be messy, weird, and uncomfortable 5 Years Ago
- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
- This Australia-themed dildo is raising money to fight the bushfires Monday 8:26 PM
- Influencers say they’ve received unwanted sexual solicitations worth thousands Monday 7:39 PM
- Pregnant woman masterfully trolls gender-obsessed relative Monday 3:05 PM
- HBO’s ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ returns from a 2-year break with brand new ways to make you cringe Monday 3:00 PM
- Far-right accused of impersonating antifa online to encourage violence at Richmond rally Monday 1:59 PM
- Second Amendment protesters defend gun rights with truly terrible signs Monday 12:52 PM
- David Lynch surprises fans by dropping Netflix short out of the blue Monday 12:29 PM
- Poop-focused parody of Kent State Gun Girl sparks conservative ire Monday 11:58 AM
- 6-year-old raises $250K for Australian bushfires by making clay koalas Monday 11:31 AM
- What you need to know about Clearview AI and its facial recognition app Monday 10:36 AM
- Apple TV+ gets its first SAG Award while Netflix and Amazon nab 2 each Monday 10:07 AM
- Facebook apologizes for translating Chinese president’s name to ‘Mr. Sh*thole’ Monday 9:45 AM
- New York Times endorses Klobarren for president Monday 8:45 AM
The first photo in the article shows Driver as the villain Kylo Ren, guarded by a pair of snowtroopers on a frozen planet. Ren was the black-clad figure with the crossguard lightsaber in the first teaser trailer for The Force Awakens, but until today, we didn’t know the man behind the mask.
Vanity Fair lists Kylo Ren as member of the First Order, an organization built from the remnants of the Galactic Empire.
Nyong’o plays a space pirate named Maz Kanata, in a CGI role that required her to wear motion-capture dots on her face. Kanata is a more ambiguous figure than the blatantly evil Kylo Ren; she isn’t affiliated with either the First Order or the Resistance (the new version of the Rebel Alliance).
Oh, and she also has a castle full of pirates and smugglers, pictured here. This movie already sounds incredible.
More characters will be revealed in Vanity Fair’s full Star Wars photoshoot on May 12. In the meantime, you can get a sneak peek if you sign up for the magazine’s newsletter before 8pm EST today. Vanity Fair promises one more character reveal; we’re guessing it’s either a photo of Nyong’o as Maz Kanata, or Gwendoline Christie in her as-yet-unknown role.
Screengrab via Vanity Fair
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor