- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Tuesday 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Tuesday 1:23 PM
The first photo in the article shows Driver as the villain Kylo Ren, guarded by a pair of snowtroopers on a frozen planet. Ren was the black-clad figure with the crossguard lightsaber in the first teaser trailer for The Force Awakens, but until today, we didn’t know the man behind the mask.
Vanity Fair lists Kylo Ren as member of the First Order, an organization built from the remnants of the Galactic Empire.
Nyong’o plays a space pirate named Maz Kanata, in a CGI role that required her to wear motion-capture dots on her face. Kanata is a more ambiguous figure than the blatantly evil Kylo Ren; she isn’t affiliated with either the First Order or the Resistance (the new version of the Rebel Alliance).
Oh, and she also has a castle full of pirates and smugglers, pictured here. This movie already sounds incredible.
More characters will be revealed in Vanity Fair’s full Star Wars photoshoot on May 12. In the meantime, you can get a sneak peek if you sign up for the magazine’s newsletter before 8pm EST today. Vanity Fair promises one more character reveal; we’re guessing it’s either a photo of Nyong’o as Maz Kanata, or Gwendoline Christie in her as-yet-unknown role.
Screengrab via Vanity Fair
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor