- Lyft received a whopping 7 sexual assault lawsuits in a day Wednesday 10:00 PM
- High school reopens investigation into Nazi salute video after other racist videos emerge Wednesday 7:14 PM
- Facebook content moderators continue to suffer from brutal working conditions Wednesday 5:58 PM
- #RIPReese: Man bullied for relationship with trans woman dies by suicide Wednesday 4:46 PM
- Redaction error reveals ICE is paying Palantir $49 million Wednesday 4:25 PM
- People are using social media to raise awareness about the Amazon fires Wednesday 4:24 PM
- How to watch ‘Detective Pikachu’ right now Wednesday 3:56 PM
- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels Wednesday 3:44 PM
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Wednesday 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Wednesday 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Wednesday 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Wednesday 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Wednesday 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Wednesday 1:13 PM
The first photo in the article shows Driver as the villain Kylo Ren, guarded by a pair of snowtroopers on a frozen planet. Ren was the black-clad figure with the crossguard lightsaber in the first teaser trailer for The Force Awakens, but until today, we didn’t know the man behind the mask.
Vanity Fair lists Kylo Ren as member of the First Order, an organization built from the remnants of the Galactic Empire.
Nyong’o plays a space pirate named Maz Kanata, in a CGI role that required her to wear motion-capture dots on her face. Kanata is a more ambiguous figure than the blatantly evil Kylo Ren; she isn’t affiliated with either the First Order or the Resistance (the new version of the Rebel Alliance).
Oh, and she also has a castle full of pirates and smugglers, pictured here. This movie already sounds incredible.
More characters will be revealed in Vanity Fair’s full Star Wars photoshoot on May 12. In the meantime, you can get a sneak peek if you sign up for the magazine’s newsletter before 8pm EST today. Vanity Fair promises one more character reveal; we’re guessing it’s either a photo of Nyong’o as Maz Kanata, or Gwendoline Christie in her as-yet-unknown role.
Screengrab via Vanity Fair
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor