- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
World of Warcraft politician wins State Senate race
After the gaming community rallied around her campaign, Colleen Lachowicz was elected to the Maine State Senate.
Critics and fans alike knew all about Colleen Lachowicz’s prowess at World of Warcraft. Now she’s shown them she’s a champion at politics, too.
The Democratic candidate for the Maine State Senate just won her election.
Lachowicz announced the win to her Facebook fans Tuesday evening after an hour-long absence from communicating with commenters.
“Facebook kind of disappeared from view for a little while, but with good reason. With one town of 300 left to report, the results cannot change. I am now the Senator-Elect of District 25 with a total of 8561 to 7545.”
In October, Lachowicz made national news when her Republican opposition created a website, Colleen’s World, to imply that the violent game wasn’t a hobby befitting of a reliable politician.
“I’m a Republican and a Worgen Warlock – and if I lived in Maine, I’d vote for you – maybe if more politicians would play and raid, maybe they’d learn some TEAMWORK. Good grief and go girl!” Marci Seamples wrote.
Right after the polls closed in Maine at 8pm ET, Lachowicz confessed to Facebook that her early numbers were not looking good.
“Albion numbers: Lachowicz 372 Martin 598,” her first Facebook status raid.
Fans offered encouragement, referencing the candidate’s stint in the national spotlight.
“You’ve got it, Colleen. You got the Colbert bump, after all!” Lisa Hassam wrote.
Sure enough, the count soon shifted to Lachowicz’s favor.
And as a final nod to the gamers who helped her win the election, the Democrat shared a tune they’d find familiar: the Final Fantasy IV victory fanfare. It’s a fitting melody for this triumphant politician and gamer.
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.